[ 02 ]

"SO YOU'RE TELLING ME, that Theseus Scamander, the one you never shut up about, is one of those hunks on the front page?"

Unable to conjure a response, Winona didn't know what to think. It's like her mouth had been glued shut as she held the Daily Prophet in her hands. "There had to be no way" she thought, almost crumpling the news article with how tight she held it.

There were a group of men, formally dressed in  military uniform, as they each were handed what seemed to be gold plated medals. She noticed that the british prime minister was present as he was the one pinning them on the wizards. Among all, one man stood above the rest, looking as stone-faced as ever, a sequence of memories flashed before her eyes.

The boy she remembers walking shoulder to shoulder with in the great halls of Hogwarts, the boy who punched Marcus Lockwood when he had broken her fifteen year old heart. The boy who held her in the astronomy tower as she cried wolf over an owl from St. Mungo's. The boy who merely needed a potions tutor, but became even more. Her best friend, was presented with a title she believed fitted him well, War Hero.

For the last four years, the First World War had been looming over the heads of thousands. Young and old wizards seeded to aid the muggles during this time of need. Alas, they were forbidden to, as it would have been a breach to the International Statue of Secrecy. Showing true to his Gryffindor colors, The lion heart couldn't help but want to dedicate his time to help those in the great war.do. A few months after finishing his seventh year at Hogwarts, he had turned eighteen two weeks prior, thus, allowing him to be eligible to serve.

Winona was heartbroken when he related what he wanted to do, nonetheless she supported him while saying how dumb witted it was. Deep down she knew he was more than capable of handling himself. You couldn't blame the young girl, she's loved and cared for Theseus since they were mere teenagers. They both share a common love that she's afraid developed more than friendship.

"When do you think they'll be back?"

As she was snapped out of a trance, Winona shook her head, "I don't exactly know, I haven't heard from him since he left."

"My, my, he must be of great importance to have gained that title."

"Yeah, he really is something."

Several minutes had passed as Lucinda gazed at Winona. She smirked, already knowing what the pot of Gardenias meant. From the way the young girl spoke about this boy, she already knew Winona was smitten with him, and now she finally had a face to pin the stories

"Well, I best be off. I have to be in the potions ward in twenty." Lucinda commented as she watched Winona's eyes light up.

"May I come with? I promised Mr. Derwent I'd help him with a couple of Pepperup potions."

"Ah, yes. He's been blabbering his mouth off with the amount of patients that's been coming in with colds."

"He'll surely need the help." smiled the nurse as she muttered a spell that instantly refilled the empty bottles of medicinal antidotes.

"Great, I'll meet you there Lucy!" exclaimed the auburn haired girl who instantly darted to the door.

"Wait-"

Before the nurse knew it, Winona was already out of the cubed room. Shaking her head, she laughed at the auburn girl who would jump at any opportunity to brew her specialties.

~ • ~

         Despite the negative aura around hospitals, St. Mungo's always peeked Winona's interest. Maybe it was the fact that it's been her home these last four years, that she grew accustomed to seeing the pale grey walls. That with entering the silver doors, a person's life can be born or take their last breath. She never really put much thought into that. Dying. The girl refused to think about the possibilities, she knew she wanted to live, so why dwell on it?

As Winona made a turn in the narrow corridor, she was faced with a pomegranate entry that was adorned with leafless branches. With a flick of her wand, two doors opened, revealing a spiral staircase that lead to her destined room.

Cinnamon scented candles were charmed to float throughout, leaving a trail of light wherever a person walked. Along the lilac walls held the many potions and antidotes she's brewed over the last years. It was her home away from home.

"There you are Winona, I was wondering where you'd been these days! How are you my dear?"

Winona spun, looking to her right as she set her eyes upon the green maiden entombed in an oceanic portrait.

"Good morning Mrs. Grimshaw, it's lovely to see you! I would have came in earlier, but Dr. Pevensie has me on some new antidotes, and it's been treating me fairly ill recently. Luckily, I've grown to tolerate it."

Winona lightly smiled as she continued to glance about the room. Dozens of boxes labeled with various ingredients were scattered, all seemingly untouched.

"Has Mr. Derwent been able to brew lately?"

"Ah, yes, yes. Mr. Derwent, he's been swamped with that bug going around lately. They been calling him in and out to the ward, the poor boy hasn't had any rest since then."
Mrs. Grimshaw explained, while shaking her head.

"But, he did mention that he had laid out a list on his desk of the potions he needed help making. So, if you would please, help that young boy out. Only Merlin knows that kid needs to slow it down sometimes."

"I'm already on it Mrs. Grimshaw." the pale woman nodded as a sign of gratitude, her long dress already disappearing into the sands.

Winona had only been half a year in to her therapy at St. Mungo's, when Mr. Derwent, one of her many doctors, took notice of her fondness in potion making. He was fairly impressed by how perfect she could execute a potion in just mere minutes. Seeing her potential, he offered a small space in his office where she could brew to her upmost delight. In addition of course, that she would help with any shortage of antidotes the hospital needed.

With that in mind, she made her small walk to retrieve the list Mr. Derwent had left for her.

Winona didn't mind the quantity with whatever potions he's ever asked her to brew, she was rather thankful to him for allowing her to gain somewhat of a purpose in her not-so-purposeful life. It was a gratitude to him that she was still able to hold on to what made her happy, to what gave her hope.

~•~

A/N
Thank you all for adding this book to your reading list, and for all the votes.🖤
( Even if they're sympathy votes, I'll take whatever I can get > < )
Theseus will be making his appearance soon I promise. Thank you all again, seeing people give this book attention warms my cold heart. 🖤

 🖤