Foodie

Food·ie /ˈfo͞odē/  n. a person with a particular interest in food; a gourmet.                                 

                         ☁ Based on BodyPositivity's writing challenge ☁

            Some people say we are born the way we are destined to be: tall, short, stumpy, intelligent, freckled, straight, gay, skinny, thick boned, fat. But most of those people are often hypocrites in their own world trying to follow the latest trends and accomplish the true definition of perfect.

            In the city of Los Angeles, being thin and skinny isn’t acceptable. Being thin with a balanced diet was never in style while eating whatever you please without worry about calorie intake was. Instead of tying knots on running shoes and heading to the gym, most head out in town searching for a new restaurant or drive-thru to devour their taste buds. Weight gain has never been a problem for those because no one was ever born thin. Weight has been accepted all over town, however, seeing someone who isn’t heavy like everyone else is hard to come by; and those who are, aren’t fully accepted.

        Trevor Wilkson, has always hated his reflection in the mirror, just as much as he hates the people in his town for being thick boned. He’s not enormous but he doesn’t have the athletic body he wishes; he can’t remember the time he’s done a full sit up. Even though everyone he knows hates people who are thin, he can’t help but wish his body was smaller, meeting his own expectations; not what he’s grown up knowing to be.

        Lexx Fuentes, hates herself just as much as everyone in her town, including the loved ones who surround her. When she was born, she was unlike the others in her town. Instead of being big boned she was thin and has the metabolism to not gain weight. Being one of the thinnest people in LA, Lexx hardly ever see’s daylight because she can’t be out and about without being looked down upon because of her body.

        As Lexx eats excessively without a care to gain weight and be accepted in her city, she meets Trevor, who dreams of being thin just like her; even if it means being considered an outcast. While the two befriend and get to know each other, they discover that it doesn’t matter how people see you or accept you. It’s about loving yourself from head to toe, and accepting who you are as a person because the only view and opinion that matters about your body is yourself.

                            *                                *                                *

        © 2014, tilmorning. All Rights Reserved.        This book contains material protected under International and Federal Copyright Laws and Treaties. Any unauthorized reprint or use of this material is prohibited. No part of his book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by aby information storage and retrieval system without express written permission from this author.

                            *                                *                                *

 I know this sounds a bit confusing, but this story is my take on the world and body imaging. In today’s society, people focus on being the idea of perfectly skinny and look down on those who don’t meet those expectations. In this story, I’m doing the opposite, portraying what it would be like if society’s expectations were to be bigger and not skinny. Instead of looking down on those who are bigger than some, people who are skinny are looked down upon because being skinny isn’t perfect to them. A world where being big boned is the normal and being skinny is the minority.