Chapter 2 - Snowed In

Luke and Lorelai woke up to the sun shining through the curtains. All was quiet in the streets of Stars Hollow, which was unusual. Stars Hollow has a small town charm, but was always hustling and bustling in the wee hours of the morning. Especially when they slept at Luke's. It was impossible to ignore the frequent diners downstairs and the infamous Taylor Doose across the street.

Confused, Luke threw on a flannel and made his way downstairs to ask Caesar about the lack of customers. Lorelai snuggled with the pillows and as she was getting comfortable again, Luke bursted through the door.

"That snow, was more than we expected. It's about a foot and a half deep, a nor'easter for sure."

"Is everyone ok? What's all the hubbub about?"

"Everyone's fine. Caesar wasn't downstairs, I called him to make sure he was safe at home. Do you want me to grab your phone so you can call Rory?"

"Hmm sure. Babe, can you call her?"

"I don't know how to work these new fangled phones."

Lorelai had already started drifting off again by the time Luke brought her the phone. He managed to press the right buttons and find Rory's number in the contacts.

"Yeah, hi it's Luke. Your mom and I just wanted to check in to see if you're ok with the storm and all. Ok good, good stay in your dorm until the snow is cleared. I'll tell your mom to call later. Alright, talk to you later."

Luke was annoyed. It was still snowing, which meant he'd have a hefty amount of snow to clear off of his truck. He was certain Taylor would try to assemble a town-wide event, too. Stars Hollow hadn't seen a nor'easter in a while. The past few years, they were hit by a few smaller storms as a result of other nor'easters, but this one blew right through town. He didn't remember what Taylor threw together last time, but Luke was sure he was not thrilled.

Then it hit him, if it was still snowing, and say they got about two feet of snow, that would mean him and Lorelai were snowed in. Nobody would be trekking out of their homes to eat at the diner today, except maybe Kirk, but Luke wasn't going to open the diner just for him.

...

Lorelai didn't notice she drifted back to sleep until she woke up to the smell of fresh coffee brewing. While rubbing her eyes, she looked towards to find Luke still in his pajamas and making breakfast.

"Wha- what's going on?" Lorelai asked sleepily.

"Well, sleepyhead, I don't know if you heard me earlier, but we're in the middle of a nor'easter. By the looks of it, we already have over a foot and a half of snow, and it's not going to stop until three o'clock today. So I'm making us breakfast to kick off our snow day." Luke said as he handed her a cup of coffee.

"A snow day?! My goodness we haven't had a snow day in so long." Lorelai quickly came down from her excitement, realizing that Rory wasn't there to share the day with her. "Rory and I usually get lost in our collection of movies and set up the best, and I mean the best, lineup of movies for the day."

"Hey now, the good thing is Rory is safe at Yale and she has electricity and food. I'm sure she's missing your tradition, too. I told her you'd call her back later today. Why don't we have our breakfast, and then you can give her a call?" Luke said as he rubbed Lorelai's back. "Then once you've talked, you and I can start our own snow day tradition, too." Luke gave her the look.

Lorelai knew that look. It was the look he gave when he was in the mood. She hadn't thought of that. Her she was, snowed in with her hunk of a boyfriend on this magical day. And she had him all for herself. The possibilities were endless.

"A new tradition, you say? Let's start with a coffee refill and get moving." Lorelai smirked at Luke.