yellow rose

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗

five

╚═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╝

song recommendation: yellow rose - matt walden

Jeno is not in art club today. His window seat, empty.

I walk past his usual spot to the sink, a fistful of paint-tipped brushes. Glancing out the window, I see Jeno sitting at a wooden bench. His face is tilted upwards, looking up at the dark sky. Renjun and his piercing glare, are nowhere to be seen.

Quickly, I rinse my brushes and neatly put them back on my table. Hurrying outside to sit with Jeno. I approach him carefully, sliding onto the bench next to him. "The sky seems to be having a bad day. Everything is coated in gloom, and the clouds are thick with gray velvet." Trying to be as detailed as possible, I explain the dark sky to Jeno.

"Thank you." He mumbles, "Na Jaemin, is it?" The tone of his voice is sad.

"Yep, the one and only."

"I finally get to meet you." He laughs but his eyes stay emotionless. "After all this time of knowing of you, we finally get to talk."

Jeno knows me?

A spatter of rain hits my cheek, signalling me to stand. "Should we go inside and talk more?" I suggest, not wanting to get rained on. Jeno doesn't move, his head hanging low. I sit back down next to Jeno but closer this time. Encircling my arms around his shoulders, his body leaning into me. He snuggles closer into my arms. "It's okay if everything seems dull right now. The storm in your heart will clear and your sun will break through the clouds sometime soon. Things will get better, I promise." I hear Jeno sniffle, the sleeve of my shirt becoming increasingly wetter as he cries along with the heavy clouds.

"Jeno!" Renjun shouts out, rushing over to us. He tears Jeno out of my arms. "Stay away from us, Na Jaemin." With a threatening stare, Renjun drags Jeno away; leaving me alone in the rain with cold arms and an even colder heart.