6 - Shared Trauma

It didn't feel as though much had happened in their lives since getting married but in reality things looked exponentially different than they were 14 months before. Carrie graduated and was working full time while Kevin was working as a junior DEA agent after having completed the 18 week training academy in Virginia. Those weeks were hard, they were lonely, and it was a test of her self control and love for her husband. She wanted to call Angel, even just to talk, but she knew better of it. Over the months since he returned she thought of Angel less and less until it was a rare occurrence.

"Hey," Kevin said sadly as he entered the house.

"What?" Carrie asked, coming out from the kitchen. She knew that tone. "What happened?"

"Aunt Marisol died," he said looking as if he could hardly believe it. "She was murdered."

"Holy shit," Carrie gasped. "Murdered?"

"I know," he shook his head. "I can't believe it." They weren't particularly close but the act itself was jarring enough.

Instantly she was worried about Angel. "How are they? Angel, EZ and Felipe?"

"I don't know," he shrugged. "I just found out."

"Maybe you should call Felipe," she suggested. "Give your condolences."

He nodded, "Probably."

"I had plans with Angie from work but I can stay home if you're feeling crappy."

Kevin shook his head. "No. Go. I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" She asked, hugging him around his neck and scratching at his hair.

"I'm sure," he said, grabbing her waist and kissing her. "Go."

"Okay." She gave him a sad smile and they kissed once more before she left.

Carrie didn't have plans and she lied so easily to her husband that it was disturbing. Instead of meeting a friend, she went to the bar she knew Angel frequently, or at least used to, and asked around about his current address. The bartender recognized her and scribbled it down for her and received a ten dollar tip for his kindness. She sat outside the rickety house smoking a cigarette she'd had hidden in her glove box for months.

After a few minutes she heard a gun cock inches from the back of her. She gasped and turned to see a skinny man with scary eyes glaring at her.

"Who are you?"

"C-Carrie."

"Why you outside my house?"

"Angel," she said quickly. "I'm... I'm looking for Angel Reyes."

Coco didn't react. He was so still Carrie wondered if he'd even heard her that was until angel came out of the house looking for him.

"Yo, what is it?"

"It's for you," Coco said, putting his gun back in his waistband and walking away.

Angel moved closer until he could see Carrie's terrified face. "Shit, Car. What are you doing here?"

"I heard about your mom," she said, still shaken from her experience with Coco. "I'm so sorry, Angel."

He nodded, his face puffy and eyes bloodshot from crying, and opened her car door motioning for her to get out. She did, quickly, and the two embraced, holding each other close. He cried into her neck and she squeezed him even tighter.

"I'm so sorry," she said again.

"You wanna come inside?" He mumbled between sniffles.

"Yeah, of course."