CHAPTER 1

CHAPTER 1

Catherine:

" Vegas. Here we come."

"Yay!"

"Shut up, Danny."

"You are such a party pooper. "

"I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"Children, you are both pretty. Now shut up."

Emily, my best friend shouted at me and Danny. We both instantly looked at each other and I tackled him in the backseat of Emily's car. We roughhoused in the back of the convertible and all of a sudden Danny flipped me and was on top of me. Then he started tickling me. I squirmed beneath him but he continued tickling me until Trevor, Emily's boyfriend grabbed the back of Danny's cardigan and pulled him off of me. I silently mouthed thank you to him and glared at Danny.

"You are dead, Danny. D E A D."

He poked his tongue out at me and continued shouting at the top of his lungs. I shook my head at him and started watching the city. We finally reached Vegas and the city is really beautiful at night. It didn't look like a city in the middle of a desert but the lights reminded me of the stars lighting the night sky on a peaceful night but the city is anything but peaceful. Guess what they say about Vegas being called The City Of Lights is true. Danny stopped bothering me after he saw that we are in the city and glued himself to the door practically hanging off it trying to see everything. Trevor helpfully pulled him back inside the car. We checked into Caesar's Palace. We reached our rooms fairly quick as Emily's dad already booked our rooms for us as a going away to college present. After unpacking our things and getting ready we enquired about things to do in the hotel. After that we went to the casino and Danny and Trevor started playing on the slot machines and video poker games. As we are still underage we didn't get to play table games like blackjack, craps, roulette and others. We ordered non-alcoholic drinks and enjoyed ourselves. It was really funny when Danny tried to convince the barman that he was 21 when he barely looked older than 19 and tried to show his fake id he bought from his brother's friend. He got caught and started drinking with us pouting all the time claiming that he totally looked 21 and the barman is blind to not see it. I told quite seriously that he should not make such remarks when the barman can clearly hear him as he might spit in his drink. Trevor and Emily started laughing at that saying it will serve him right for doing these things. After playing a few more games we retired to our rooms as we are quite tired and promised to meet each other the next morning. Trevor and Danny are sharing a room and Emily and me are sharing one. We had plans to go to a spa the next day so we slept the second our heads hit the pillow.

The next day we went to the spa and had a relaxing day. All the stress from the past few days of finishing our exams and getting ready for college flew away as we relaxed in the spa. We started the sightseeing the next day. We saw so many Elvis impersonators that day as no matter where we turn they are there. And people are getting married in the chapels with Elvis as the officiator. We saw the Las Vegas Boulevard, a beautiful botanical garden which made me want to have a big garden in my home one day and we saw so many Egyptian monuments and various circus acts without stepping foot off the strip. Danny went nuts when he saw the pirate ships and started behaving like a pirate for the rest of the tour. We rode on the Big Apple Rollercoaster at the New York-New York hotel and casino and we were upside down for most of the ride. We went to Paris Las Vegas that night and saw the whole of Las Vegas from above the Eiffel Tower. It reminded us of a Christmas tree.

We went to the Mob museum the next day and Trevor was ecstatic as he wants to study criminal psychology. After that we went to Venetian Las Vegas and rode on the gondolas in the Grand Canal. That night we went to the Freemont Street and enjoyed the light and sound show under the canopy. It felt like living inside a fairy land. We saw the aquarium in The Mirage the next day and went to the Stratosphere tower. The city is really beautiful from up there and we sky jumped off the tower. That night we saw the volcano eruption in The Mirage and strangely it smelled like Pina Colada.

The next day we went to the Bellagio Casino and saw the botanical gardens there and the conservatory and that night we saw the dancing fountains. Vegas really took the stress out of us before college. We planned to go to the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam the next day. We took a tour of the Hoover Dam and then we went to the Grand Canyon. We took a chopper ride and saw the Grand Canyon and it really was really big. We saw the east canyon and the north rim that day and the west canyon and the south rim the next day. We returned to Vegas the next day and relaxed in our rooms. When it was late in the evening Emily barged into my room carrying a dress.

"We were going to a club tonight as it's our last night here. Get ready. Wear this dress and I will do your makeup and hair. "

"I'm not coming. I'm tired. "

"Oh, come on, we are leaving tomorrow. Let's enjoy. Please. Please. "

How can I say no when she is asking like that and I normally don't deny her anything as she is one of my first and best friends besides Danny.

"Fine. "

After I got dressed in the dress she gave me I looked at myself in the mirror. I have to say Emily does know how to pick dresses and I'm looking pretty. After applying makeup and doing my hair she left to get ready. After an hour we left our rooms and went to this club on the strip. Everyone was drunk around me and I started feeling a bit uneasy. I don't do well around people who are drunk. I did not want to stop them from having fun so I silently slipped out from the club making sure no one noticed me leaving. I made my way to the parking lot towards Emily's car and laid down on the hood looking at the night sky.

After a while I felt someone beside me and turned around to see a guy standing beside the car watching me. He is pretty good looking and what Emily would call hot. He had this chocolate brown hair that falls on his eyes and electric green eyes. One can get lost looking into those eyes.

"Hi, beautiful."

"Hi."

"So, what is an angel like you doing here? Did you fall from heaven?"

"Wow, does that line really work?"

I questioned sarcastically. I can tell from the look on his face that he wants something from me but I could not for the life of me guess what.

"Yes, it usually works."

He smirked at me and sat on the hood of the car beside me.

"So, what are you doing here?"

"What makes you think I will tell you? You are a stranger to me."

"That I am. My name is Edward."

"I'm Catherine."

I told him reluctantly as it is rude to not tell him after he said his name.

"So now that we are not strangers what are you doing here?"

"Waiting for my friends."

I replied sharply hoping he would get the hint and leave me alone.

"So, would you mind joining me for a drink while waiting for your friends?"

"Sorry, I don't normally drink."

"Oh, that's ok. Coke then. "

I thought for a while and agreed thinking he would leave me alone after having the drink.

"A coke for the lady. Coming right up. "

He quickly disappeared from beside me. I don't know why I'm talking to strangers '. He could be a chainsaw murderer or a serial killer or some sick whacko. But you live only once right and Emily is always saying to me to live a little. He returned back with two cokes and gave me one. Then we started talking about random things and he is quite intelligent and funny too. I don't know how but I dozed off to sleep.

The next thing I know I'm waking up the next morning with something heavy draped across my waist. Wow, it's really heavy. I opened my eyes and adjusted myself to the light and turned around only to find Edward beside me.