Chapter Five

Y/N grinned ear to ear, dancing through her apartment while she cooked dinner. She couldn't believe she had the perfect day with Elijah. She couldn't remember ever spending the day with anyone that made her feel this alive. She was completely taken.

He was so smart, and incredibly sexy. While she still didn't know much about him, everything she had learned in the last twenty four hours only made her like him more. She was smitten with him.

She was singing along to the radio at the top of her lungs, using the wooden spoon from her kitchen as a microphone, when there was an urgent pounding on her door. She turned the music down, ready once again to face Miss Fiona and her complaining. She was sure even that couldn't bring her mood down.

When she swung the door open, she was startled to see Ben, his shirt covered in blood.

"Oh my god, Ben!" Her voice was filled with concern. "Come in, are you okay?" She pulled him inside. She had been angry with him, yes, but worry quickly replaced her anger at the sight of him.

"Y/N," his voice was strained, his eyes wild.

"What happened?" She asked.

He looked around her apartment frantically. "I can't stop," he hissed.

Her brows furrowed. "Stop? Stop what? Ben, what happened? Are you okay?" She pulled him into the bathroom down the hall, tearing open the medicine cabinet and looking for anything she could find that might help him.

He grabbed at his hair and began pacing like a trapped animal.

"Ben, where are you hurt?" She tried to get him to sit, but he pulled away from her angrily. "Talk to me."

"It's fine," he snapped.

She pulled away from him at his tone. "You're covered in blood," she stated obviously.

He slammed his palm onto the wall behind her, making her flinch. "It's not mine!" He shouted angrily.

Her doorbell rang, followed quickly by more pounding on her door.

"Y/N!" the voice came through, startling her.

Elijah.

"Wait here," she stepped under Ben's arm, leaving him in the bathroom to clean himself up. She pulled open her door. "Elijah, what are you doing here?" She asked. She was glad to see him, but after spending all day with him she hadn't expected to see him so soon.

He looked her up and down, as if taking inventory. She stepped aside to let him in, but he didn't move.

He looked past her, searching.

Y/N was confused. Was he looking for Ben? What the hell had happened? "Elijah?"

"Invite me in."

She drew her brows together in question, but she said nothing.

"Invite me in!" He shouted.

She stepped back away from him, startled. Her heart raced in her chest.

"Please," he begged. "Y/N, please, invite me in." His voice was desperate and concerned.

She opened her mouth with every intention to invite him in because even in his current state, she trusted him, but the words wouldn't come out. It was as if they were trapped in her throat.

Suddenly Ben was behind her, pulling her back into him so her back was against his chest. His hands tightly gripped her arms, pinning them behind her and holding her in place.

She yelped. "Ben, you're hurting me."

Elijah straightened himself up, the worry that had been on his face moments ago turned to a calm rage. "Release her," he demanded.