Karter

I'm hanging out with Ali, why I don't know, when Andrew came up to me.  Andrew is a kid that I met from football camp.  He's okay I guess.  I haven't seen him in a while and didn't even know if we were still friends or not so I didn't know if I should stop walking and talk to him.  Right when I decided that I wasn't going to stop, HE stopped me. 

 I don't know if I told you this but Adrew.... how do I put this?  Andrew isn't the brightest or the biggest person on the planet.  He is scrawny and looks more like the football team's waterboy than their punter.  He has glasses and is in the mathletes.  Ugh!

So anyway, he stopped right in front of me and expected not to get plowed.  Luckily though, I stopped right before hitting him surprised that he actually remembered me and stopped to talk.  

"What's up?"  He asked this so casually.  As if nothing about this is weird.  Ali just stood there patiently waiting for Andrew to go away before asking who he was.  I tried to respond the same way but it just wasn't going to happen.  "Not much.  Just hanging out with Ali.  That's all."  "OH!! Ok sorry to get in your way!"  He walked away and had tried to plaster a "cool kid" smile on his face.  Just as I had expected and right on cue Ali asked.  "Who was THAT?!!?"  I tried to think of a response that made sense but my mind went blank. "Well, that was Andrew from football camp."  "He went to FOOTBALL camp!? As what?  The waterboy."  Glad that I wasn't the only one who thought about that.

Conversation carried on as usual just held back a little bit and Ali didn't talk as much as usual.  We were cautious about what we said to each other now.  It never used to be like that.  Then just like the other day.  Silence fell and we had nothing to talk about.

As I walked Ali to her house she asked me one more question to top off the night.  She just couldn't help herself. "I don't know if I can do this anymore.  I need you to help me.  Can you do that?"  I didn't know what to say and I didn't know what I was helping her with until it hit me.  

Later that night I got ANOTHER text from that random kid.  I didn't know what to do.  I got butterflies in the pit of my stomach and suddenly felt like I was going to throw up.  I wanted to make it stop so... this time I responded.