Chapter 3

As I prepared an early brunch, I heard the doorbell. I sighed to myself as I worried on how this was going to go.

I greeted Mike at the front door and let him in.

"Oh. I have something for you," I stated as I grabbed something off of the shelf, "here. I don't want it."

Mike looked in his hand to see the necklace he had given me for the second time.

"But it belongs to you. I want you to have it, Carrie." Mike told me.

"No. Thanks, but I receive gifts from my current boyfriend, not my ex boyfriend." I admitted.

"Oh. I didn't know, I'm sorry." Mike said.

"So does that mean I don't have to discuss your boundaries? Because I'm not interested in anything from you." I asked as I threw the pasta in the pot.

"No need to do that. What are you making?" He wondered.

"Something vegan, I'm not a chef. So if you don't like it, that's too bad." I stated with an attitude.

"Listen, I know this isn't ideal okay? Let's just make the best of this. I don't want to fight." Mike said.

As he finished his sentence, we heard footsteps running down the stairs.

"Mom! I need you to sow my skirt!" She yelled as she made her way into the kitchen with it in her hands, "the stitching is.... oh. Hello again."

"Ken, this is Mike." I stated nervously as I played with my hands.

"Yeah, we met. He's the one who left the note for you." She responded.

"Right. Yeah. Uh, I'm making lunch so it'll be done shortly." I forced a fake smile.

"Ma, can I talk to you quick?" Mackenzie asked as she pulled me by my wrist into the living room.
"What happened to Tony? Are you guys broken up?"

"No! No, we're still together!" I responded.

"So...You're cheating?" She raised her eyebrows.

"No, I'm not cheating." I sighed as I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Then who is he and what's he doing here?" Mackenzie wondered.

"I...I don't know. He's an old friend." I somewhat lied.

"Are you sure? Don't be a hoe mom." She stated.

"Hey! I'm not a hoe. Don't you dare say that to me, okay? Were just friends. Nothing more, I promise." I told her truthfully. "Let's go have lunch."