Chapter 10 - Road to Newmerica!

We had been walking for a while now, Sarge and 10k had kept swapping places and it was nice to talk to another female for a change, no offence to 10k. You could see Murphy and Doc whispering up ahead. "What do you think their talking about?" you asked Sarge looking over at her, she shrugged.

"Who knows... Murphy's probably complaining about something or another" She rolled her eyes but gave you a smile. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm... okay" You said honestly. Yes you had been feeling a bit crap but as far as the apocalypse goes, 'crap' is pretty good. Sarge nodded.

"Well if you need someone to talk that isn't male, I'm always willing to listen" She sped up her pace and swapped with 10k.

"You two do know that I can take the middle watch, I'm I'll be able to find some common interests with these folks!" You protested, pouting a little. 10k laughed.

"It's not that we don't think you will... it's just... some of them are violent... and well... a gun is quicker than a bow, if you see my point" 10k explained. You sighed he was right. Murphy then turned back to look at the people behind him as the old lady coughed hard.

"How are ya'll doing back there?" He questioned with a slight edge to his tone. it was followed by positive confirmations that people felt okay. The son of the old lady smiled slightly.

"She's actually feeling better" he said, holding his mothers arm supportively. Another woman spoke up.

"My cramps are finally gone..." she said. Murphy chuckled though it sounded forced as he turned back to face the direction he was walking and began muttering to Doc again.

"I'm glad people are feeling better... I guess a walk a fresh...ish... air is good for the body" You said, breathing deeply as you walked. 10k laughed softly at you and you elbowed him in the ribs playfully.

"Oh! Murphy!" You heard Doc exclaim, as he sped up his pace to walk ahead of Murphy. You rolled your eyes.

"Do you think Murphy will ever say anything that doesn't offend someone?" You questioned innocently. 10k shook his head.

"If he does I'll a kiss a zombie" He said. I laughed.

"You might regret that someday, probably not anytime soon but someday" You said and then both and 10k laughed. We kept walking and eventually stumbled across a truck. It was a large truck with a large flat bed that everyone could most likely pile into. Murphy walked over to it.

"Keys are still in this thing... I bet its outta gas..." He said as he turned the key and to everyone's surprise it revved into life.

"Jackpot!" Doc called and climbed in the drivers seat "All about the bus to Newmerica" There were some groans at his enthusiasm but most people looked happy enough to finally get a break from walking. The truck had a front seat and a drivers seat in the cab, also in the cab and behind the seats the whole interior had been removed leaving a tunnel standing area. Murphy took the front seat and the unarmed people all loaded onto the flat bed. 10k climbed in behind the seats, wedging himself in the unoccupied door way and steadying his rifle.

"Guns are better than bows when driving, you get the middle seat" Sarge said, nudging you and winking. She had caught on easily about your crush on 10k and though she never really teased you about it there where times that she reminded you she knew. You rolled your eyes at her but smiled and climbed into the back beside 10k, since you didn't have weapon capable of killing z's from your sandwiched position you sat on floor. Sarge climbed in after you, also wedging herself in the other doorway with her rifle propped in her arms. Then the truck lurched into gear. You felt your eyes getting heavy and you allowed the rumble of the engine to lull you into a light sleep.

You woke abruptly when the engine was shut off and saw Doc and Murphy getting out. You looked up at 10k who smiled at you. "Morning sleepy" He playfully mocked. You rolled your eyes.

"Where are Doc and Murphy going?" You questioned, sitting up and stretching felling the bones in your arms and back crack.

"Murphy is certain Warren alive... he's going to try and find her and meet us in Newmerica" 10k explained. You nodded and watched Doc and Murphy out from windshield as they spoke.

"I hope he finds her..." You mumbled.

"Me too" Said 10k.