Chapter 3: Dreams

Steven POV

--WARP--

I arrived in the temple, stepping off the Warp Pad and setting the basket off to the side.

I walked towards the kitchen, kicking my sandals off and opening the fridge and grabbing a few pieces of bread, Turkey slices, lettuce, and a carton of Orange Juice. I turned around and placed the items on the counter before pulling out a plate, a knife, and a glass.

I hadn't eaten almost anything except for breakfast today, and I was starving.

After preparing and eating my nighttime snack, I put away the foodstuff in the fridge before changing into some pajamas and getting into bed. When I finally laid down, I heard the front door open.

I sat up in my bed to see who had entered. It was Pearl, followed by Garnet and Amethyst.

"Hey, guys. Did you finish your mission?" I asked, a little groggy from lack of sleep.

Pearl quickly looked up to the top level of the beach house. "Steven? What are you still doing up, it's very late!" She said, a little surprised.

"I just got back from... from visiting Peridot." I said, sadly.

That changed everyone's tune. All the Crystal Gems seemed to sadden at that statement, and Garnet quickly made her way past the others, through the Temple doors, and into her room. The doors shut with a hard slam.

"Jeez, I don't think I've ever seen Garnet this stressed." Amethyst commented.

"She's not the only one. We all are." Pearl replied. "How is she doing, Steven? Did you help change her bandages for her?"

"Yeah, they're clean now. She's... She doesn't seem any better. She did talk to me today, though, so I guess that's progress." I said.

"Man, I can't imagine what she's going through right now..." Said Amethyst.

"I can. " Said Pearl, her eyes filled with guilt and memories.

We all stayed silent for a couple minutes.

"Steven, please go to bed now. We can talk more in the morning. Goodnight." Said Pearl before retreating to her room.

"Goodnight, Pearl." I gave a small yawn before laying back down on my bed.

Amethyst quickly jogged up the stairs and gave me a quick hug. "Goodnight Steven." She said softly.

"Goodnight, Amethyst." I whispered, hugging her back.

She walked back down the stairs before going into her room. I laid back down on my bed, letting sleep overtake me.

"Goodnight, Peridot."

Peridot POV

I slowly woke up, getting up from the mattress and doing a small stretch. I rubbed my eyes, which were still sore from crying, and let out a small yawn.

In all honesty, I didn't want to wake up this morning. Or any morning. Everyday was pain, slowly trudging around the Barn, no motivation to do anything. I tried moving the fingers on my left hand, but all I felt was burning pain and aching. I let out small hiss before giving up on moving the limb.

"I... I can't. I don't want to do this anymore. I don't wanna be alone, in this barn, too damaged to do anything. I... I want you back, Lapis..." I said in a small whisper, tears already forming in my eyes.

"What the heck are you taking about, Peri?"

I quickly spun around, looking for whoever said that, in such a familiar voice.