Chapter Twelve

They had both changed into more subdued outfits to better fit in with the non-criminal refugees who had made their way down to the lazy beach towns of The South from Gotham. Lee wore a wide brimmed black hat and sunglasses - damn, she looked glamorous when going incognito - while Edward donned the furthest thing from the emerald green suit they robbed banks in that he owned. A white polo shirt and khakis. He had even messed up his hair.

Lee reaches across the booth to ruffle it lovingly. "You look like the Ed that stumbled into The Narrows not so long ago."

"I was a slob then."

"It was cute," she says with a smile. "I like all sides of you."

"What'll you have?" A waitress in a lemon yellow uniform with a white scalloped apron asks them. She smells vaguely of that stuff Edward has noticed people chew around here.

"Certainly not the crab," Edward snarks. It is overly abundant on the menu he holds in his hands.

"Why not?" The waitress asks defensively, putting a hand upon her ample hip. An expertly stenciled eyebrow rises above the bright blue eye shadow she has on her lid. "Beachview is known for its crab. It's a local delicacy."

"We didn't mean any offense," Lee says and pauses before saying quietly, "We don't care for crab for personal reasons."

Edward had told Lee about his dream. At least, the final part, waking up with a crab on his chest that had turned out to be Kristen when he woke. They would forever associate the two.

"Is there anything else this area is known for?" Lee asks.

The waitress rattles off about three other items. All from the sea - all from the bottom of it. They sound disgusting. Every single one of them.

After Lee places her order for one of the local delicacies, he asks, "Do you have anything that's not from the sea?"

"I can get you a salad. With croutons," the waitress snaps and walks away from their table.

"What about the dressing . . . ?" Edward asks as she walks away, unhearing.

"It probably has shrimp in it." Lee smirks. "So your salad will probably arrive dry."

"Ugh. That's not what I wanted."

"Hey, I wasn't the one being nasty with the waitress."

"I wasn't -"

The next thing they know, their waitress has turned up the volume on the set in the restaurant. It gets everyone's attention.

"The Paradise Lost Duo has struck again. Earlier this morning, the bank in the Horseshoe Marina was hit by the couple known as The Riddler and The Doc, formerly villains from Gotham City."

A picture of them is splashed onto the screen. They are in a compromising position.

"Horseshoe Marina? That's just a town away."

"Look at the two of them. How rude. Who has sex in public like that?"

"That's so close - they could come here next. Mommy, I'm scared."

"All you have to do is avert your eyes, dear."

"Sorry about that picture folks, but we felt the need to let the public know exactly what they could be in store for should the Paradise Lost Duo hit their town. Theft, obscenity, unanswerable riddles. . ."

"Unanswerable?" Edward whispers as he takes off his glasses, puts them away, and sinks lower in the seat. "How moronic are these people?"

"Shush," Lee admonishes.

On screen, the announcer continues, "The picture we just showed is not from today's hit, folks. It was from a previous heist in Sleepyville. We just needed to show you what these two are truly capable of and that they didn't get as far today because the teller from the Horseshoe Marina was cooperative."

The screen cuts to an interview with the teller they had interacted with earlier that morning. Ed can't make her out since he's without his glasses, but he recognizes the voice. She's so proud of herself for not letting them get too far and for 'stopping the obscenity.'

"Sheesh," Lee whispers to Edward. "All they care about is the sex? Don't they care that we're robbing them blind?"

"Apparently not," he answers quietly. "But that could serve us well. The angle that the news is pushing is to cooperate with us lest they get exposed to 'something horrific.'"

She just shakes her head. "You're right. They are morons."

A middle aged woman unceremoniously slips into their booth. She is almost as tall as Edward, with hair that is way too curly. And she is chewing on something gross. "You two having trouble fitting in?"

"Excuse me?" Lee says after she instinctively slides away from her.

"We got a different set of morals down here than in The Narrows, eh?"

To mention The Narrows is pretty specific - and to look the way they do and be associated with The Narrows is odd because most refugees from The Narrows likely wouldn't be dressed as fancy as they are. Only The Queen and her consort would be.

Damn. The woman must recognize them. A twinge of fear races through his chest.

And he loves it.