Arrangements & Engagements

Nikki Darling's Point Of View

***
The abrupt stopping motion of the motorcycle awakes me from my light slumber, and the reoccurring sentences from the fiasco in the living room begin to replay in my head.

Prince slowly moves off the seat, and aids me down. He notices my tired eyes and lets out a laugh. "Did I tire you out?" He extends a hand, and hopes for mine to intertwine, but I decline.

"No," I chuckle. "I always get sleepy on the road."

"Remind me to not let you drive" he walks towards a building, and I instantly recognize the sign.

I halt in my place, and even walk back towards the motorcycle, before he pulls me by my wrist. "I don't want to go in there, that girl you made a spectacle with is obviously hurt."

He turns before he reaches the door. "How would you know that? You haven't seen her since" his brow arches.

"Well, my girls and I come here now. And last time I came was yesterday. I mentioned your name on the telephone and we shared this weird look.. it wasn't friendly" I admit as I open the door, and hold it open for him with my foot.

"You said my name in front of her?" His lips curve. "Ballsy." We continue walking inside the café for a moment before he comes up with a question. "Who were you on the phone with, mentioning my name?"

"Oh, Timothy. I was getting the girls and I tickets to your show."

"You called Timothy on a café phone in front of the girl you saw me romancing earlier this week?" he seems puzzled, but it's mostly mockery.

"Oh please, you call that romancing?" I squint as he chooses a booth and heads towards it.

"It caught your attention, didn't it?" he licks his lips agonizingly slow as his head falls back onto the booth's headrest.

"Remind me to not allow Calvion near you for one moment, you pig" I tease, whilst standing in my place. "Anyhow," my head turns to see the menu. "What do you-"

"You still talk to Timothy?" his smile ceases.

"Well, yeah," I look him up and down, as he puts on a passive-aggressive tantrum. "Why would I ever stop? He's.. fun" I flick my tongue out with purpose. This doesn't make him happy one bit, for his eyes almost go a red-hazel hue, which frightens me a bit.

He slams a fist down with a 20 dollar bill in clasp. "Strawberry shake, extra cream" his jaw clenches as I walk foreword.

My hand lingers over his as  we stare into each others eyes. "Don't get possessive Prince, I'm not the one to get claimed" I yank the bill out from under his hand and proceed to the line.

The walk towards the line and I notice eyes dart onto Prince. There is no doubt in my mind that, with my absence women and men alike have flocked to the booth. Prince seems to be a Minnesotan treasure, and it comes clear to me why he has security when I hear shrieking. I glance over, and he appears to be fine with 7 adulated fans surrounding him. I keep checking on him as the line moves up.

The blond barista is accompanied by a tall teenaged boy with an impressive Afro. Her eyes remain on Prince as I call out my order. "Are you okay?" I snap my fingers. Her eyes dart to mine.