Chapter 1

1 year ago...

The quiet crash of a water droplet hitting the pipe beside me is suddenly overwhelming in the quiet of the night. Looking around, I see nothing but the orange hue of street lights illuminate the alley behind the dumpster I crouch behind. He has to be close...I can feel the gravel crunch underneath his boots as he walks over. 

That's when I could no longer hear the water.

An overwhelming siren suddenly comes from the entrance to the alley. The orange hue is interrupted by flashes of red and blue. The gravel crumbles underneath his boot as John grabs my hand from behind the dumpster with urgency. 

"We've been spotted," his tone shakes, "and the escapee is nowhere to be found."

"Just go and find Lorna," I mumble to him while stepping out from the dumpster, "I'll take care of them."

"Dana, your eyes..." he says softly, his grip on me becoming tighter. 

"Just go," I pull away from him as I walk away, disappearing into the dark. 

Pressing my body against the brick wall, I watch as the cops come for us, their weapons made for mutants in hand. As soon as they get close, I hold my hand out and the red waves I am used to appears around my hand. With the swift clench of my fists, the lights from the street and the cars are silenced. 

"What the hell was that?!" one of them screams. 

"They took our weapons!" another screams. 

Knowing that wasn't me, I turn to my right and see the green glow from my sister's hands fight against the darkness of the night. With a soft sigh, I sneak up behind the closest officer and lay my hand to his cheek. The red waves seep from my fingertips and into his head before he collapses. 

"This is freaking me the fu-" 

He collapses in front of me as the red waves coming out from my fingers reach him. Suddenly I feel a tug on my arm and the figure starts to run, forcing me to run with them. 

"You're reckless you know that," Lorna mumbles to me. 

"So are you," I spit back with a smirk. 

We almost make it to the truck, but that's when I heard it. The crunch of gravel from behind me and the crackle from a taser bullet shooting towards me. Quickly, I push Lorna against the car as a weak red wave encases my hand. The electric ball hits me and my legs become like jelly. I collapse to the floor as my muscles weaken and jump like crickets, rendering me paralyzed. 

As I'm turned forcefully onto my stomach by an officer, darkness creeps from the corners of my eyes. While the collar is placed on my neck, making my entire body go limper than it already was, I hear Lorna and John's screams in the background. Baring my teeth and screaming in pain, I focus everything I had left inside of me. My last screams emit a pulse that knocks all the officers on their ass before I am completely weak. The last thing I hear before darkness overtakes me is the screaming of pain from myself as I am tased again and the screech of a car taking off.