✴|chapter six

After bathing in an extensively lavish bath, probably meant for the royalty or at least guests, I slip on a robe, noticing that my skin literally smells like roses—most probably a result of all of the rose petals layering the top of the warm, silky water.

Of course, dozens of flowers would have had to barbarically die for that one bath, but then again the maids didn't seem as concerned as I was.

"The prince has left these clothes for you to wear," one of the maids emerges into the room, offering me a stack of dark grey cloth. Curious, I take them from her and unfold them. While the color is solid unison, the design itself includes a cross flap fastened by a matching dark gray sash, and long slits up the sides to reveal my legs. I am horrified by the leg cleavage before the maid gives me long harem pants, which I hastily pull on to cover all my exposed skin. My guess is that the clothing given to the concubines is designed to be easy to put on, but also easy to remove... it makes convenient and logical sense, but my stomach still turns at the thought.

Before I was sent off to take a bath, the prince and I had agreed on a few things: first, he would not touch me unless the queen was about. I still can't admit that I fully understand his need to make her believe that I am truly his concubine, but I didn't question him—it was the least I could do. Secondly, I would not be entirely confined to my room, but he preferred for me not to be seen by the rest of the palace's inhabitants either. And lastly: if I developed any sort of real feelings for him, he had full authority to banish me from the palace.

That had caused me to laugh—falling in love with golden-blooded royal?

I'd have to go mad.

The maid dips into a bow. "This way, miss."

Navigating another opulent hallway, the maid beckons to what seems its own suite in the middle of the corridor. "Your new room."

I give her a thanks, then wander into the new chambers that I have been supposedly given. It is not as expansive as Stephen's, but it is certainly a beautiful and heady upgrade to the meager quarters I had before.

I frolic through the room, pretending I am not delighted at the layers of mattress and comforters on my bed or the large terrace that awaits me at the northern glass doors of the room. Suddenly hopeful, I throw open the doors and lean across the balcony—and abruptly recoil. It is far too high from the courtyard, and there is no foothold along the exterior. My hopes sink back into my chest, and I reluctantly step back inside, still trying to hold onto the feeling that there might yet be an escape.

I lie down on top of the bed, running my hands along the soft, plush comforter. Most concubines don't get these sorts of privileges, but I suppose that pretending to be the prince's has its benefits. While their opinions don't seem to matter to the royals in the face of their own needs, I've heard that the most prized concubines get their own chambers.

As I trace the swirling embroidery, I realize that I myself have started referring to myself as the prince's concubine. I sit up abruptly, folding my fingers in my lap, and mentally admonish myself.

What could possibly be so wonderful about this prison? I am furious at myself—enjoying a bed while multiple people could be grieving for me right now. I should be figuring out a way to escape this place—I could find Meir and cross into the forest, live there...

I take a throw pillow and bury my face into it. Nothing could possibly be that simple—if Stephen really is intent on keeping up this facade for Queen Auven, whatever his reasons are, I doubt he would let me get away. Then again, he could say that it wasn't his fault... it wouldn't be, would it?

A headache surges into my temple. I try to clear my head, take a few breaths. The first step should be finding a route through the palace to get out... if I could find the initial pathway the Palanquin had used to take me inside, there was a vague possibility I might make it.

I ease back into the bed, begin to daydream of Meir lying next to me and what it would be like to escape back to him.

I have barely begun to relax when a sharp knock shatters me from my thoughts.

A/N

Hello :3

How's everyone doing? I hope you have a beautiful day <3

Until next chapter,

Icelynn