✴|chapter eight

A heavy limb is draped across me.

My eyes flutter open, and I find myself drowning within my incessant panic.

"Get off!" I shriek, thrusting the slumbering body off of me. I blink the sun out of my eyes, my heart thumping rapidly. Hadn't the prince and I made an agreement?

A vibrant scream follows my expulsion, and as I hold up the thin straps of my nightgown and crawl to the edge of the bed, I see a writhing mass from beneath the heavy covers.

"Oh, Adlyn," I gasp, slipping down besides her and ripping away the sheets. "Oh—I'm so sorry, I thought you were the prince—!"

Adlyn suppresses a furious blush and quivers as I grip her arms. "Sorry, mi—Ithena. I shouldn't have fallen asleep on the bed, I couldn't help it..."

I release a breath. "No, I didn't mean to startle you. I'm very sorry, Adlyn." Laughing a bit wistfully, I add, "I actually... appreciate your company. It reminds me of when..."

The young maid sits up straight and gazes at me, her flawless eyes perturbed. "Ithena?"

I find myself jarred for a moment, staring into blank space as I remember. It reminds me of when she would sleep next to me...

"Miss," Adlyn mumbles, clambering onto the bed next to me. Her lovely gaze is fraught with heightening worry. "Are you alright?"

"Oh. I... It was nothing. Listen, Adlyn, I'm truly sorry..."

"You said you thought I was the prince?" she giggles. Her smile suddenly drops and an overwhelming expression of shock overcomes her face. "Wait... that means... you and Prince Stephen haven't...!"

I look away and sigh, my fists clenching in the sheets. It was going to have to come out sometime. "Well... no. You would probably know that he hasn't had any concubines before..."

"That's true," Adlyn admits, rubbing her chin intensely. "Come to think of it, I guess that's the only reason I really like him..."

I turn to the girl, wondering if my ears are failing me. "What?"

She flushes a deep pink and holds her hands out in front of her. "No, no!" she protests, waving her arms around. "It's—it's not what you think, I promise!"

I lift a brow and settle into a half-smile. "Alright. Explain yourself, then."

She sighs and gives in. "When we were younger, I used to see the prince around a lot. I suppose I developed a... crush, of sorts." Her expression grows dreamy. "He even touched my hands once when I accidentally broke a vase..."

My brows knit together. "Touched your hands?"

"He helped me clean up the mess I had created," Adlyn explains, looking bashful. "So, I don't know, ever since then..." She lets out a prolonged sigh. "And he's ridiculously handsome on top of it all."

My narrow stare bores into her. "It is definitely not strange to have my roommate crushing on the man whose bed I'm supposed to be in."

Adlyn simpers at my words at first, then gapes at me with embarrassed flattery. "I'm... Your roommate?"

I hadn't noticed my casual usage of the word, but as I think of it I tilt my head and grin. "Well, you are basically that. It'd be awkward for me to call you my maid, so... why not?"

Adlyn's lip quivers and suddenly she throws herself at me, knocking me back into the pillows. I'm about to pull her off me when she begins sobbing into my silken nightgown, her arms wrapped tightly about me.

"Adlyn..."

"I can't help it," she sniffs, her shoulders lifting to hide her face. "I've never been that precious to anyone since I had to leave my parents... you're so wonderful and kind, Ithena. I'm sorry that you were taken from your family, but I'm happy that you're here."

I look upon her tangled around me, the shock hazing my mind, before I set a gentle hand on her delicate back. Is this what it feels like to have someone need you? Just like I had needed her...

Maybe I had been torn from my family, my love, and everything I had ever known... but having Adlyn in the palace with me made the ordeal much less terrifying. I didn't quite voice it, but I was eternally grateful for her as well.

A/N

Hi everyone, Icelynn here! These past few chapters have been a bit slow, just because of school and the like... Honestly speaking though, Addy is one of my favorite characters and she's just so adorable. What do you think? :3

I know, our prince hasn't been featured in these recent chapters... but I promise he'll make an appearance!

Until next time,

Icelynn <3