eighteen

Changkyun didn't know how to feel when he walked through the college gates that morning.

It felt different walking with Kihyun and Jooheon as opposed to walking on his own, and Changkyun didn't know if he liked it or not.

"Changkyun!" A familiar voice yelled from behind him, and Changkyun flinched before turning around to see Soonyoung running towards him.

The redhead immediately tackled Changkyun in a bone crushing hug, causing the two of them to almost stumble backwards.

"Oh my God, dude, I was so worried!" Soonyoung exclaimed, and Changkyun wrapped his own arms around his friend's shoulders. "You weren't answering your phone and we'd arranged to Skype at seven, but you weren't there and I thought you'd died or something!"

Changkyun laughed nervously when Soonyoung pulled away from him, face red and eyes swimming with tears.

"I'm sorry, Soonyoung," he apologised. "Please don't cry. I just... a lot's been happening recently. I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to make you worry."

Soonyoung rubbed his eyes viciously, and when he pulled his arm down from his face, his eyes looked even more red than they were before.

"I'm just so glad you're ok," he sniffled, and Changkyun smiled.

"I'm fine, Soonyoung, I promise," he insisted, and Soonyoung nodded. "Come on, we should probably get to art. I'll see you guys later?"

"We'll meet you at your class," Kihyun replied. "You have art for three hours, right?"

Changkyun nodded and Soonyoung groaned.

"Yeah, we'll just meet you outside art," Jooheon agreed, and Changkyun smiled.

"Thanks, guys," the hazelnut-haired boy said one last time before he and Soonyoung turned around to head to their art class.

~*~

Three hours went by surprisingly fast, what with Soonyoung chatting Changkyun's ear off for the whole time. He wondered what Soonyoung would do if he ever lost his voice, imagined how quiet and boring his art lessons would be.

Like they'd said they would, Kihyun and Jooheon were standing outside of Changkyun's art class when he left, and just the sight of the two second-years in front of him brought a smile to Changkyun's face.

"How was the lesson?" Kihyun asked, and just as Changkyun opened his mouth to speak, Soonyoung beat him to it.

"Oh my God, it was so boring!" He complained, rolling his eyes dramatically, and Kihyun laughed. "We were learning about brush strokes today - for three hours!"

"Hey, it was better than last lesson," Changkyun interjected, smile curling on his lips. "Do you remember-"

"-With the tip of your pen!" The two first-years screeched in sync, imitating their art teacher.

Changkyun's face turned red with laughter as he pushed open the door leading to the courtyard and main entrance to the college, and Kihyun followed behind the two, his heart aching at how badly he wanted to make Changkyun laugh like that.

For now, however, he was content with watching the boy be happy from afar.

"Will you be in tomorrow?" Soonyoung asked once he and Changkyun had calmed down. "Please don't leave me alone tomorrow with Steve."

"I'll be there," Changkyun assured, patting the redhead's shoulder. "I would never dream of leaving my dear friend alone with that fiend."

Soonyoung gasped dramatically, pressing a hand to his heart.