Chapter Seven: The Lost Magician

Just like I thought, the castle was completely barren of any kind of security at night. It was easy for me to be able to waltz on out without a fight. Even the guards that patrol the front of the castle had all gone to bed.

I shivered a bit from the drop in temperature, rubbing my upper arms to try and warm myself up. Fucking hell I forgot how cold it gets at night. I took a deep breath to calm myself down before I got angry, steering my thoughts towards Jevil's hint.

"The old shopkeeper knows a secret" huh? I mean, I barely talk to him so it might be so and I just never cared. We tend to be all business, nothing more. Might as well figure out how to play this goddamn game and get to know him.

A new determination in my heart, I quickened my pace. I needed to talk to him as soon as I could, and I knew there was a quick transport to the meadow nearby.

Once I reached the door, I quickly forced the image of the meadow in my mind and stepped through, immediately rewarded by the sound of grass under my boots. Perfect.

I turned to my right and quickly dashed over, smiling as I saw the familiar, raggedy shop's entrance. Just the right place. I stepped inside and carefully ducked my head under the door. The shopkeep was a bit on the smaller side and going in was always tricky.

"Ah, you're back. Great to see you again." There he was like always, sitting behind the counter. I nodded to him and carefully sat down on my knees, keeping my face flat, emotionless, professional.

"I assume you're only here for business as usual. What do you have for me today?"

"Not today sir. I just want information." This caught him a bit by surprise, but he smiled softly at me regardless.

"Of course. What is it you would like to know? We barely know each other after all." I felt my ears twitch but forced myself to stay calm.

"I found someone who mentioned you. What do you know about the lone prisoner at the bottom of the castle?" This surprised him, his left eye widening slightly. He let out a small chuckle before shaking his head, his face relaxing.

"You found him. Despite all the trouble I went through to keep him hidden, you've genuinely found him." My eyes widened in surprise at that statement.

"Wait, you locked him up? What the hell did he do that was so bad that you had to lock him up and pissed off all the kings?" The shopkeep sighed and shook his head.

"He... was a funny little man. Once the court jester, and I the court magician." I froze, all color draining from my face. He... holy shit. The jester... he was locked away all this time. And the shopkeep...

"Seam...?" His eye widened in surprise, tilting his head curiously.

"How did you know my name? I don't recall ever telling you it."

"I'm (Y/N). That little girl that went to every one of the Jester's shows. You drilled how to say your name properly into my head for at least a week when I called you the wrong thing by accident." His one eye widened in surprise before he smiled.

"My, you've certainly changed from the innocent girl who was extremely shy around new people."

"Well, being on the run for ten years will do that to ya... god I can't believe it's you. What happened to your eye and mouth?" His expression darkened as he sighed and shook his head.

"Jevil. Jevil happened."

"What?! But— from what I remember he would never hurt anyone! Let alone his best friend!" Seam sighed and folded his hands in front of him.

"He changed. You remember when the shows started to become less and less frequent? It was because of him changing." I was quiet at that, my stomach tightening. It made some sense, but what kind of change could have caused him to stop his shows?

"One day, he met a strange someone... to this day I do not know who they were, but that was when he began to change. He started saying bizarre things that didn't make complete sense - but didn't completely not make sense, either. Soon, he began to see the world as a game, and everyone as its participants." I fell silent. Hearing that, it made some sense... especially given how he began to act near the end.

-----------------------

"Are you okay?" I pulled gently on the Jester's cape, trying to get his attention. He had been muttering to himself for a while and had seemed to be avoiding everyone. He jumped when he felt the tug and turned towards me, a slight yellow gleam in his eye quickly fading away.

"Oh. I'm sorry I haven't kept you waiting have I?"

"No, no, it's not that. You've just been acting different... you're not sick are you?"

"Not at all rabbit of hearts! I've never felt better!" His smile was much more unsettling... more deranged and less relaxed than it usually was. Seam was quick to walk over and quickly grabbed the Jester by his shoulders, guiding him away.

"Hey! Wait! What's going on?!" Seam turned back to me and his eyes softened in pity, turning away from me and continuing to push the Jester away from me. I felt tears start to well up in my eyes and I quickly wiped them away, spinning on my heel and dashing off to where my mom was waiting.

Did he... not like me anymore? Did I do something wrong? One of my hands held my choker tightly, tears starting to fall.

------------------------------------

"(Y/N)? What's the matter?" I was jerked out of my thoughts and turned my attention to Seam, who seemed to be much more concerned than he was a moment ago. I felt something cold on my cheek and raised my hand to feel something wet. Tears. I was crying.

I quickly wiped my tears away and shook my head. Get out of memory lane. It's nothing but pain and misery, you KNOW that.

"I'm fine. Nothing important. Back to the topic at hand- I want to find the key Jevil was talking about, and he said you know a secret." Seam sighed and shook his head.

"... I see. After all the trouble I went through to lock him up, you want to release him?" I nodded, folding my arms across my chest. Seam was silent for a moment, as if pondering something, before one of his eyes lit up in realization.

"Hmm, now that you mention it, it could be troublesome if he was left alone... Yes, perhaps it's better if you dealt with him now...? After all, it's not as if whatever happens, will matter in the end. Perhaps a little chaos might be fun." I smiled smally at the third sentence. That's an area where Seam and I always seemed to get along more than others.

Both of us saw the futility of the world and hoping for a brighter future.

"So then, take this." I held out my hand to him and he set a familiar piece of silver into my hand.

"If you're so driven, find the other two pieces, and find someone to fix them. I'll even give you a hint - walk where the stars don't shine. Anyhow, if you somehow succeed, come back here and tell me! Good luck!!" I nodded to him and stood up, turning to leave the shop. My ears twitched as I heard him murmur something that I almost couldn't hear as I ducked under the door.

"If you can call THIS luck... No, it's more like a curse...!"

-----------------------------------

CHAPTER SEVEN DONE WOOP! Art is by me and here we go everyone!