Chapter 6

Okay, so previously in the last chapter, they went shopping for McKenzies room, and also got more random stuff than they planned, thanks to Cam. Just a little recap.

--------

We enjoyed having McKenzie here so much, sooner than we knew it, a week passed right before the blink of an eye. I woke up to Cam kissing my face and laughing.

"Nashy!"

I blinked and sat up, gaining focus. "Man, do either of you ever let me sleep?" I said in a groggy voice.

Cameron laughed.

"Nash, guess what day it is?"

I instantly knew. "The day we would've gotten married. But we couldn't because of the incident with McKenzies family." My heart dropped.

I would've gotten married to the love of my life today.

"Don't worry Nash, we'll get married soon, I promise. And besides, we already live together."

"That's true."

I heard shuffling in the other room. Cameron and I shared glances. "McKenzie is awake." We both laughed.

I walked into her room with Cam right behind me. McKenzie sat up.

"Good morning!"

"Good Morning, would you like some eggs and bacon?" I asked.

She nodded. So I went into the kitchen and got out the food and stuff and started cooking. Cameron was right by my side and McKenzie was at the table saying random things excitedly.

Cameron was speaking back to her in the exact excited tone. I chuckled.

We stayed that way for a good time until it all happened too quickly. McKenzie jumped up and grabbed my arm.

"It's...hard to...breathe." She managed out. My heart did a somersault.

She began to lose balance and I grabbed her. I reached up and turned off the stove. I was scared. I didn't know what was going on with her.

"Cam, were going to the hospital."

He nodded worriedly and ran out of the room and came back in after retrieving the car keys. I scooped up McKenzie into my arms and ran outside, putting her in the backseat. We drove with her window open just in case it was asthma or something.

When we got into the hospital and checked her in, they took us back immediately.

The doctors were doing all sorts of tests, and then they cleared us out of the room. I was so confused.

Cameron grabbed my hand and laced his fingers through mine. "I'm scared Nash."

"Cameron....she'll be fine. I'm sure."

We sat in silence until the doctor came out and looked at us. "You guys are adoptive parents?"

We both nodded. "McKenzie told me. She can breathe again, for now. But not as good."

"Wh-what do you mean?" I asked.

"I'm so sorry to break this to you two, but McKenzie has been a victim of second hand smoke. It seems her family used to smoke around her. Her lungs are filled with fluids." He paused. "McKenzie has cancer."

I couldn't do anything. The world seemed to be spinning. I could feel Cameron's grip tighten on my hand.

"She needs to stay overnight for a few more tests." We nodded. As soon as he walked away, I could tell Cameron was breaking, and I was too, to be honest. I grabbed his shoulder and looked him in the eyes.

"We're staying overnight with her, okay? She-she's gonna be alright. She's strong. She can make it though this." He nodded, and I grabbed him and held him tight. He put his head on my shoulder and cried.

"Let's go see her." He nodded and we walked into her room.

//THIS WAS PARTLY MY COUSINS IDEA. But I just cried a little bit. It was sad to write this, and I feel bad. But it makes the story have a twist. Poor McKenzie. :( I hate myself now.