Chapter 1 • The Volubilis Potion

Golden rays of sunshine filled the library as the sun slowly made it's way down the sky towards the horizon. In Ariadne's opinion, that was one of the most beautiful moments you can witness on autumn's day. Falling back in her seat, young brunette slowly stretched arms in front of herself, gently massaging wrists now sore from writing, and gazed through the window.

This week Charms professor assigned all sixth years to write a twelve-inch long essay on a water-making spell. It was due only in two weeks, however, from this autumn all sixth years were beginning to learn how to use nonverbal spells and the quicker Ariadne finishes her other tasks, the more time she'll have to practice those skills, which, to her surprise and a major disappointment, weren't excellent at all. Young Ravenclaw would have lied by saying that she didn't take great consolation from the fact that neither her best friend Astrid showcased impressive talents in these classes.

The girls were supposed to meet at the Great hall for lunch after Astrid's Quidditch practice and it was about time for Ariadne to get there. Making mental notes on what she'll have to do after having a meal, Ari closed her personal copy of The Standard Book of Spells after carefully placing a bookmark and packed it together with other belongings into a linen bag.

"Will you one day give away the secret how you manage to always come precisely five minutes before the set time? This is making me genuinely question whether you have a time-turner," mused Astrid and took a sip of what probably was a glass of pumpkin juice as Ariadne descended on the bench across with a wide grin decorating her features.

"Punctuality is the first step towards success, my dear friend, and, for the millionth time: no, I do not possess a time-turner." young brunette winked at her friend while reaching for a plate filled with steamed broccoli. "Though I wish," she added immediately.

Doors to the Great Hall burst open letting in a bunch of students in black and green robes, their chattering and laugh disrupting peaceful atmosphere. Lean blonde girl walking with the group waved a hand at Ariadne as a bulky dark-haired guy she had her arm linked with playfully greeted Ari with a "looking great, Westenberg!" Beaming joyfully she waved back at the couple, only to earn an annoyed eye-roll from Astrid.

"Did" Ari fully turned to the other girl cautiously choosing words "something again happened during practice?"

"Bull's eye, Westenberg," groaned Astrid before fully stuffing her mouth with shepherd's pie.

Ariadne knew better than to push Astrid to explain, she already learnt this lesson the hard way. So, looking at a sadly munching friend, Ari gave way for the silence pass between them, letting her eat away all frustrations. Only once she reached for second round pudding did Astrid finally spoke again deflated.

"Are you going back to the library after?"

"Oh, yeah... I have to write another four inches, will you join me?" Ariadne glanced at a friend before patting the corners of her mouth with a napkin.

"No... Don't feel like studying today. Will probably go back to our common room and finally answer my mom's letter before evening patrol, sorry..."

"You don't have to be sorry, Strid. And... I know that you always refuse, but if they keep bothering you, I can always talk to them. You know that I'm dead serious, right?" leaning over the oaken dining table, Ariadne reached over and lightly poked Astrid's bare forehead earning a dim smile from the best friend.

"Of course I do, Ari, but I don't want to create a hostile atmosphere during your dinners. So, just forget it, okay?" Astrid got up, smoothing away imaginary wrinkles from her robes and grabbed an extra cookie. "Don't stay up too late, bepeu, I have no pleasure in taking away points from my own house."