Chapter 2 • Hogsmeade

Theseus retrieved his essay at the same time handing back a parchment filled with his handwriting to Ariadne. His eyes traced neat remarks left above main work, while Ari skimmed over the new list of spells to practice and tips with the last line saying "time for supper?" Theseus took her brief nod as a cue to start packing and Ariadne joined him shortly after. They made their way through the library in silence, only bidding polite farewells to the librarian who acknowledge them with a 'Have a nice evening, miss Westenberg.'

Unbothered by the fact that he was completely disregarded again, Theseus slid Ariadne's linen bag on a shoulder and fetched a deep sigh. "I feel so accomplished right now!" He glanced at the girl as she shoved a dark curl behind an ear and pressed lips into a thin line. "Is something wrong?"

Ariadne paused before answering. "It's nothing. But you really did improve, and a lot. Soon you won't need any help." She praised Theseus dragging feet through stone floors.

Ariadne's comment flattered Theseus, yet her sudden mood swing concerned him more. She was a quiet person, but something felt off. "You're going to wear out the soles of your shoes, miss Westenberg," he teased.

Please, Theseus, don't call me like that. "I'm loosing a perfectly good day for studying tomorrow and feel guilty for not finishing up studying runes," Ariadne whispered holding a breath. That already sounded lame in her head but she had no energy for dodging the question as Theseus would eventually get it out of her anyway.

"You're being too harsh on yourself again, Ariadne..." Both of them stopped beside the statue of Rowena Ravenclaw stealing glances of each other. "So... I suppose you're going to Hogsmeade tomorrow?"

"Astrid would never forgive me if I missed it," Ari looked up at Theseus biting her inner cheek. "Are you?"

Meeting girls gaze he lifted a hand and ran fingers through caramel curls awkwardly "Umh, yeah."

"Would you like to grab butterbeer together? I mean with me and Astrid," Ariadne blurted out, cheeks flushing crimson red. For a long moment, Theseus gazed back at her rather confused, leaving Ari unable to decipher his intentions.

At last, he broke into a grin handing Ari the bag with her studying materials. "That actually sounds great. When would you like to meet?'

"So what's going on between you and Scamander?"

"What do you mean what's going on between me and Scamander?" Ariadne stopped in her tracks while Astrid continued filling a paper bag with jelly slugs. "I said a dozen times: we're study buddies. Which is partially your fault, I wouldn't need another study buddy if you wouldn't have Quidditch practices every other day and patrols all the time." Ari broke into a heated ramble following Astrid as she grinned satisfied and picked more sweets.

"Sure. Whatever you say, Ari." Astrid eyed the selection of delicious confectionery, trying her hardest not chuckle out loud. Her friend might have been a student prodigy when it came to potions and languages, yet totally oblivious when things revolved around friendships or family matters.

"And you know what? He actually sometimes gets on my nerves so badly." Ari picked a chocolate frog and put it back in place mindlessly, eyebrows furrowed. "What's up with calling me Westenberg? I have a goddamn name, people."

"Yet you invited your study buddy for a date, Westenberg." Astrid glanced at Ariadne over the shoulder smirking.

"Merlin's beard, Strid! It's not a date! You'll be there too!" Several customers turned towards two girls attracted by raised voices. Ariadne smiled a meek apology at the people before stepping closer to her friend with a glare. "I'm just being polite, Astrid. My father always says you have to treat valuable people kindly and keep 'em close."