3

Ink emerges from the puddle of paint and gracefully lands on the grass. He stands in the middle of the field, looking a bit confused for a moment, before looking at the food I left out, and then at my bike. He smiles before sitting down with his back to me, his scarf slightly fluttering around in the cool wind. "I know you're there, Y/N..." He says smoothly. "You can come out now." With a little furrow of my brow, I crawl out of my hiding place and stand up. 

"...How did you know I was there?" I ask, walking over to him. 

"Well, it was just a hunch... plus you left your bike over there, so it was obvious," He points to my bike and smiles.  I laugh sheepishly and look to the side. 

"How did you travel through that paint puddle?" I ask, looking at him curiously. "It's like you disintegrated your body and just... floated through! How?" 

"Well... It's complicated." Ink sighs, looking at me.

"I'm listening." I say, turning towards him. 

"Well, have you ever heard of the phrase, 'Mind, body, and soul?'" I nod. "Great. So, some monsters are able to do this, and some aren't, it just depends on our magical abilities. So, our souls hold our bodies, and our minds, inside of them. When the ones powerful enough to do so need to, they find a weak spot in their destination. For all of us, our weak spots are different. Mine happen to be travelling through paint spills and the like, and Dream's are happy feelings, thoughts, and memories. Blue's, however, are normal, so he goes where he wants in a certain world, though he has to be near Dream or I to travel to a different universe. Do you understand?" I nod again, entranced by his words. "So, when we need to travel, we momentarily release our physical forms just for a moment, so we can successfully teleport to different places. It's harder for some monsters, but I find it easy to do."

"So your bodies are like... Holographs?" I ask, astonished. 

"In a way." He responds nonchalantly. 

I touch his arm. "You don't seem to be that way..." 

"Well, we're able to have physical forms, so we aren't actually holographic." He explains with a smile. I nod in understanding, and we sit in silence for a while, staring into the sunset. The sun sets low on the horizon, sending rays of gold and white across the sky. The blue mixes with red and creates a torrent of pinks, golds, and purples that spread  across the sky in a crescendo of beauty and grace nothing could compare to.  

My phone's ringtone interrupts our silence, making us both jump back in surprise. We laugh for a brief moment as I check the caller I.D. "It's Sans..." Ink nods in understanding and turns towards the sunset once more. Tapping the green 'Accept' button, I hold the phone to my ear. 

"Hello?" 

"HELLO, Y/N! THE MAGNIFICENT SANS IS JUST CALLING TO TELL YOU THAT HIS TACOS WILL BE READY IN FIFTEEN MINUTES, SO IT IS TIME TO COME HOME."

"Oh, Okay! I'll be home soon... Just let me get my bike." 

"ALRIGHT! THE MAGNIFICENT SANS WILL SEE YOU SOON, Y/N!!"

"Bye!"

I hang up the phone. "Looks like I gotta go." I frown, looking at the artist beside me. Ink nods with a slight smile and stands up before holding out his hand. I sit in confusion for a moment or two before getting the point and gently taking his hand in mine, allowing him to pull me to my feet. "Thanks." I smile, letting go of his hand.

"No problem. Well, I guess I'll see you later,  Y/N." He takes his paintbrush from his back and paints a swathe of colourful paint on the ground.

I nod and wave to him as I turn to grab my bike. I unlock my bike chain and turn around one last time.
"Bye, Ink--" I start...