Welcome Home

~
My heart is not a home for
cowards
~

I burst into a fit of laughter as Apollo sat up straight in his seat.
He threw his jacket in my lap and ran his fingers through his hair in relief.

"We did it!" I cheered. I drummed my fingers over the wheel and smiled. My heart still raced over the moment.

I caught Apollo's gaze as he watched me break free for a moment. I smiled brightly and watched him crack one as well. "You did good." He responded with a chuckle.

"We did good." I corrected. Apollo nodded his head and stretched out in his seat.

"That police officer was so disappointed when you told him you had a husband." Apollo laughed. "I almost blew my cover."

"He was in a hurry to leave." I agreed.
I layed Apollo's jacket over my legs, enjoying the warmth it provided. "We make a great team."

"I told you." He sighed, bliss removing the earlier panic from his features. "Stick with me Mouse, and nothing could hurt us."

I smiled at that. Only a couple of hours left until the border and I couldn't be any happier. I had often wondered why we went out of our way to go through all of those states but it's not like I didn't enjoy myself doing so. "Apollo? Why didn't we drive straight to Canada?"

"If the authorities do happen to catch our trail, it will be harder for them to track us this way. Don't tell me you aren't having a blast!"

I rolled my eyes.

"Do you want me to drive again?" Apollo asked from the side as he adjusted his phone to become a GPS. "You got that look on your face again."

"What look?" I questioned. My fingers found my forehead to feel if I had a permanent frown on. "I don't mind driving. You look exhausted anyway."

Apollo shrugged and pushed the seat back to lay down. "Wake me up if you have any problems, understood?"

"Yes sir." I saluted. Apollo layed his phone in my lap and I positioned it so I could glance down at it every few minutes. I turned the radio on slightly and listened for a few minutes.

I was happy. Anywhere than home is better, yet, being with Apollo made me happier. I couldn't wait to meet his family, but I really feared of being a burden to them. I always seem to bring trouble onto people who don't deserve it. Apollo was a perfect example of that.

I glanced at him and smiled. Apollo was fast asleep and sprawled all over the seat. We were an odd pair and I wondered when the moment was when I began to trust him.

He still scared me shitless sometimes and I wasn't entirely myself around him. But, I felt absolute freedom when we were together.

When we get to wherever we're going, I'm going to propose something to Apollo about my parents and their situation. Hopefully I could send them the remainder of my money and maybe find a job to rid them of their debt. Apollo was right, it shouldn't be up to Liam's father how the debt is paid.

I let out a small sigh and let my mind be filled with the music.

.
.

The sun was setting and I knew we were close. I could see the end of the blue arrows destination and I ran my fingers across Apollo's back. He arched to feel more and I laughed lightly. "We're almost there." I whispered. He rolled over with one eye open and glanced at the phone in my lap.
Apollo lifted the seat back up as we neared a line to cross.

A punch of nerves made my skin prickle. "Are you hiding from the authorities here too?" I asked. It probably wasn't my business but I felt like I needed to know the situation a little more before we got any closer.