•058 [end]

Working up the nerve to put a foot on the cobblestone driveway was a lot harder than you'd ever imagined. You stood at the gate, lost in thought. It used to be buffed silver, but since had been painted with black gloss paint. Everything else looked the same, shrubbery trimmed and shaped, grass mown, koi pond on the left with a small fountain that broke the silence with peaceful trickling noises. It was at odds with everything you felt in that moment.

"You okay?" you jumped, looking up at Namjoon, who stood next to you. The tension slipped out of your shoulders as his hand laid on your back, concern on his face. The memories of jumping this same wrought iron gate when you'd left five years ago slipped into nothingness.

"Yeah." you breathed, anxiety remaining in your stomach like a swarm of mosquitoes, but less so than before. You sucked in a breath, and pressed the buzzer. There was a click, and you didn't wait for anyone to speak. "It's me. Open the gate."

The clack of the release of the mechanism sounded, and the gate swung open. You sighed, then turned back to Namjoon, holding your hand out to him. He smiled wryly, and took it, lacing his fingers through yours.

Your parents were waiting in the foyer when you pushed open the front door, your Mother holding onto your Father's arm. It was hard to look at her face. It made you feel guilty, and you didn't want to feel guilty. You had done nothing to feel that way for.

In the split second before anyone spoke, you regretted coming here. This big, empty house, with it's echoing rooms and heavy atmosphere. You felt small, until a squeeze of your hand reminded you of your adulthood.

"Y/N, what did you come for?" your Dad was straightforward, as always. Ordinarily, he would remain quiet and let your Mother do the talking, but you suspected that she had nothing to say.

You met his gaze, forcing yourself to remain strong. He wasn't the same man he had been but you still felt that old intimidation, as you forced yourself to note how he had changed. How he was different. He'd aged considerably for it only having been five years. "Namjoon wanted to formally introduce himself to you. Since you are still my parents." biologically, at least.

"The young man from Eunha's party." your Mother spoke up, finally, gaze on the brunette beside you. "I remember."

Namjoon gave a charming smile and bow. "Yes. Kim Namjoon, Y/N's boyfriend. Well, actually," he glanced at you, "Fiancé, with your blessing."

Silence seemed to slam down over the room. You stared at him, and your parents did to. He'd mentioned nothing of this to you when he'd said he wanted to meet them properly. Annoyance brewed in your stomach, and you frowned at him, "We don't need their permission-"

"Not permission. Blessing." he cut you off, as if he could sense where your mind was going. He smiled at you, gentle, but amused at the same time. "With so much in our relationship that has been..." he chuckled, "non-traditional, I'd like to do at least this one thing properly."

You quieted, his sincerity thoroughly dismantling your argument. You gazed at him for a long moment, until a voice from across the room broke the unsteady silence.

"She's right." both you and Namjoon looked round at your parents in surprise. Your Father had his eyes closed, a heavy sigh leaving his lips. "We have no right to oppose this, anymore."

You stared at him for a long moment, and he met your gaze. You couldn't tell what he was thinking.

"It's late for this, but, Y/N..." he paused, a few trace emotions showing through the cracks of the usual hard mask he wore. He looked away for a second, then back. "We apologise. What we did to you... it was wrong." your chest tightened. "We know that it's too much to ask your forgiveness, but... we hope you'll allow us to be a part of your life from now on."