Chapter 5

Niel gently helped Max to the tent the two shared. There was no way Max could have made it there himself, he was shaking to the point were he couldn't walk without assistance.

"You're fucking worthless, you can't even walk yourself." The voice growled, creeping back to view in Max's mind.

But no one would care because he's a boy right?

Yeah. They wouldn't.

The two boys eventually made their way to the tent.

Niel gently sat Max down on his own cot, and sat down next to him.

"Max..what's going on..I've never seen you show so many emotions at once.." He sighed. "Well besides anger."

"Im r-rarely mad, Niel." Max said through heaving breaths. "Im..just.." he paused for a moment trying to think of a word. "Frustrated I guess."

Niel nodded. He looked over st Max who had red eyes from crying, and deep bags under his eyes.

"Max..have you been sleeping?" He asked looking at Max as his eyes darted around the room.

"Y-yeah." He lied.

"No you haven't Max..I can tell." Niel said his voice going soft.

"Is it that obvious?" Max said putting his head down.

"Yeah." Niel chuckled.

"Damn, it's hot in here." Niel said in an attempt to lighten the mood.

Max shrugged "I guess."

"How do you always keep that hoodie on?" Niel asked genuinely confused.

Max's eyes widened for a short moment not knowing what to say.

I- I don't- uh I g-got to go!" Max said getting up.

"Max." Niel said grabbing the small boy's wrist.

Max winced as one of Niel's fingers were directly on one of his cuts.

Niel noticed this. "Sit the fuck back down." He said firmly.

Max's mind was racing.

'Oh fuck'

'Oh fuck'

"Max." The voice growled.

"ThIS wAs SuPPosEd To bE oUr SeCrEt!!" The voice screamed becoming distorted. Almost sounding like it was more than one voice.

Niel snapped Max out of his thoughts when he grabbed his sleeve.

"No!" Max screamed while jerking his arm away.

Niel had a pleading look on his face.

"Max...please..are you okay?" Niel said his voice cracking when he said please.

He was about to cry.. Max realized.

Max slowly pulled his arm back towards Niel, before Niel even did anything Max spoke. "Im sorry.."

Niel slowly pulled Max's sleeve up and was horrified.

Cuts.

Tears fell down both the boys cheeks.

"Max...why?"

"Be-because I hate myself.."

"But Max...this?" He gestured towards the cuts. "This doesn't help anything.."

Max started crying more again Niel got up and hugged the small boy.

"What ever is going on Max, you'll get through this..and i'll make sure of that."

"But Max?" Niel asked.

"Y-yeah?"

"Promise me you'll never do this to yourself again."

Max stayed silent for a moment.

"I promise."