Chapter 1: LIZ

Pakihinaan mo nga ‘yang tugtog mo, Ena.

Who wouldn’t want to argue with her? My bestfriend always listen to that stupid british boyband. They’re just another pop boyband having no talent. Such a waste of time.

19 na tayo, tapos malapit na tayong mag-20, pinapaalala ko lang sayo.

“Eh ano naman? Ito na naman ba ang pagtatalunan natin, Liz? Why can’t you just accept the fact that you’re bestfriend is a Direct-.”

“Don’t even finish your sentence.”

This is a never-ending argument between Ena and I. Hindi ko kasi maintindihan kung anong meron yang mga lalaking yan para pagkaguluhan sila ng mga tao. I don’t see any difference, they’re just like any other guy, stupid.

I admit that I’m full-pledge british hater. Why? Ask my mom. First, I am Alice Davies and that is my bestfriend Serena Lopez. We are both 19 and in college, taking up Chemical Engineering. We’ve been bestfriends since birth. My mom and her mom are also bestfriends. Predictable, isn’t it?

“Liz, did I ever mention na pupunta sila dito? Samahan mo ko, please,” Ena bursted out.

Sino?” I gave a confused look. We were in her room and if I were to describe her room, two words, One Direction. She’s obsessed.

Sino pa ba? Sige na, please? Alam mo namang hindi ako papayagan nila mama ng hindi kita kasama eh. No expense. I’ll pay for everything. Just go with me, Liz.”

“Where?” I gave a more confused look and played with her.

“Liz, don’t play with me. I’m serious and this is serious,” Ena gave me a bad look and instantly I know this is real time. You wouldn’t want to argue with Ena when she’s like this. Trust me. I just agreed to go with her since it’s Christmas break and my birthday is coming.

“I’ll just have to get permission from my mom,” I added.

“Muuuum! Liz is going home and I’m driving her.”

So Ena clearly drived me home and did not stop by at my house any further. Guess what? We are leaving tomorrow morning and this is all planned without me even knowing. Am I really her bestfriend? Ena is obsessed. Ugh, how come this is happening to my bestfriend?

“Maaaaa!”

Andito ako sa kitchen, Alice,” my mom answered.

“Ma, it’s Liz not Alice. Alice reminds me of being British.”

“You are half-british, remember that.”

“I know and I hate it. So mom, Ena invited me to Manila and we’re leaving tomorrow morning. No expense. Tito Miguel and Tita Sabel will pay for our trip.”

“Sabel didn’t mention that to me on the phone earlier.”

“Mom, you know Ena, once she made up her mind no one can stop her and she’s even dragging me with her.”

“You’re birthday is coming and It’s Christmas.”

“Mom, the concert is on the 22nd, I’ll be home for Christmas and my birthday. Just let me enjoy this break from school. Please?”

“Okay, dear. I’ll help you pack your things.”

My mom is the coolest mom ever. Magkasama na kami sa lahat ng bagay mula ng umalis ang Daddy ko. My dad left us since I was 2 years old. He went to England and did not come back eversince. No calls, no communication. He just disappeared. I hated my dad for leaving us in the Philippines. My mom worked and raised me up alone.

“Guess what?” I called Ena on the phone.

“What?”

“I’m packing up my things and we’re leaving tomorrow. This better be good. And I am clearly not leaving my mom just to stalk that british boyband in Manila, okay?”

“I promise, Liz. You’ll never forget this trip.”

We left Cebu early that morning and we headed to the hotel with Tito Miguel. He said that he has a business conference in Manila until the 23rd, so that is 1 week vacation for me and Ena. He also reminded me to call my mom. Ena and I shared the same room. It was really beautiful and the view from our room reminded me of someone.

“Ena, What are we going to do now?”

“Look at this. This is their schedule in Manila,” Ena was holding a paper in her hands.

“I thought we talked about this? No stalking.”

“I know but I can’t help it. Okay, you can do whatever you want just help me find their rooms first.”

“Wait, whaaaat?”

“Okay, I’m sorry, Liz. We’re at the same hotel as theirs. My dad did not know about this, too. I’m really sorry.”

“So this is clearly Stalking 101 with Ena and Liz!” I raised my voice higher. My temper isn’t helping either. I just walked out of the room and started to cry. I know Ena should have told me that. I just don’t want to argue with her anymore. I miss my bestfriend. I miss the old-not-obsessed Ena. As I run through the hallway, I bumped into a blonde guy, all I know is he’s not a Filipino.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bump into you. I just had an argument with my bestfriend. I’m really sorry.” I bowed my head as I talk.

“It’s okay, no problemo. I’m Niall by the way and you are?”

“It’s Liz, short for Alice Davies. I need to go. I just want to be alone.” This time I walked but in a faster way because I’m afraid to bump into someone again. I don’t know where I am heading.