Thirteen Years Old

So when I hit thirteen, my social worker told my Mom that I was ready to be told the truth about my life and my family. I remember the day well, It ws the day after my thirteenth birthday, I was recovering from the night before where my Mom and I played around together until early hours of the morning This was our day every year and I loved it. It was Mother daughter day and I looked forward to it every year.

On this day, my Mom and I tidied the house from our messy evening. I hated cleaning but I knew I had to help even though I would prefer to be doing anything else. I remember putting some scissors into the drawer under the microwave and found an envelope addressed to me. At first, I thought it was a letter from my Mom for my birthday and in a way it was, just not the Mom I thought it would be from. My Mom never gave it to me and I found out the reason why a few months ago. But for now I was confused, I wasn't sure whether to open it or not. I knew that there would have been a reason why I hadn't been given it the day before.

I must have been in the kitchen for a while because my Mom came in looking for me. "Hey, what are you doing in here?" She asked me and then noticed the envelope in my hand. "Where did you get that?" She asked and I just looked at her in suspicion.

"What is it?" I asked her and she sighed.

"It's nothing. You weren't meant to see that." She told me and I groaned at her.

"Why wasn't I supposed to see it Mom? What are you hiding from me?" I asked her, I was getting very impatient with her being so secretive. We had never really fallen out or argued before so this was a new thing for us.

I didn't like it but at the same time, I wasn't about to give up when I knew secrets were being kept from me and I didn't like it.

"I'm not hiding anything from you Olivia. It's not for you to have right now. You're still too young to understand." She told me and I rolled my eyes with attitude.

"Tell me. I have never done anything for you to keep secrets from me. What is going on?" I asked her, raising my voice. I was becoming frustrated with this.

"Okay fine. Lets go sit down and I'll tell everything you want to know." She told me and I followed her into the living room and sat on the couch next to her.

"What are you keeping from me Mom?" I asked her and he sighed and grabbed my hand closest to her.

"Olivia, You're adopted."