8. I'm Not Jealous of Him

Derek's POV

I was just finishing dinner when I heard the front door open. It had been a rough couple of days since the Marcus incident. I finally told Kennedy a little bit about my past.

Not nearly as much as she deserves, but enough that I'm not completely lying.

"Der? Hey. You made dinner already?" she asked distractedly as she set her bag on the spare dining chair.

"Yeah. I thought maybe we could have a nice date night in? If you want. I know we both have work for our classes but I thought we kinda need this after what happened last week with Marcus."

"Awe baby," she says placing a chaste kiss on my lips. "I would love that but I sort of have someone coming over. I know its short notice but we have a project due next week..."

"No. Ken. It's fine. I understand. When are they getting here?"

"He should be getting here any minute actually."

"Wait, he? What project is this? What's his name?"

"Yes, he." She responds giving me a curious look. "And it's a project for my creative writing course. We have to write the opening scene and the closing scene of a Dramatic play. His name is Ethan."

"Ethan? Sounds like a prick."

"Derek!"

"What?! I'm just saying!" I tell her as there is a knock on the door.

"Answer the door. I need to use the bathroom," she says pushing me toward the door only to grab my arm a second later. "And be. Nice."

"Okay mom." I say rolling my eyes.

I made my way to the door, waiting until I heard our bedroom door close behind Kennedy to open it. When I did I saw a guy a few inches shorter than me with dirty blond hair and green eyes.

"I'm sorry I..." he started only for me to cut him off.

"You must be Ethan."

"Yeah...?"

"You sound so sure of that." I state sarcastically. "Come in. Kennedy will be out in a minute."

"Um okay." He said following me into the apartment, closing the door behind him.

"Hey Ethan." Kennedy greets, walking back into the Living room. "I see you've met Derek."

"Sort of." He replies cautiously.

"Boyfriend." I say extending my hand for him to shake.

"Right." he says. Either nervousness or disappointment lacing his words.

Did Ken not tell him about me when she invited him over? He did seem a little confused when I opened the door.

After shaking my hand a silence fell on us.

"Okay, well we should probably get to work," Kennedy says, breaking the silence.

"Right." Ethan replies awkwardly.

"I just need to grab my bag from the kitchen, make yourself comfortable." She tells him gesturing to the couch as she turns to leave.

"Did you tell him about me at all?" I asked when we got to the kitchen

.

She let out a soft laugh. "What?"

"Did you even tell him you have a boyfriend?" I rephrased.

"It didn't really come up Derek."

"What do you mean it didn't come up?! How does that not come up when you are inviting someone to our apartment!?"

"It's not like I purposely avoided the topic. It just didn't come up,"

"Right. Yeah okay Kennedy. Remember that when some girl shows up, thinking I'm single, to work on a project. Oh wait that's right! I won't let that happen!" I whisper-yell, rolling my eyes.

"I don't even get why you are freaking out...wait. Are you jealous?"

"I am not jealous of him!" I growl through my teeth.

"Uh huh. Yeah. Tell that to your attitude. Now I've got work to do." She says patting my cheek before turning back to the living room.

Five minutes later my studying was interrupted by their laughter coming from the living room. I tried to ignore it but when not even two minutes later the laughter started up again I couldn't concentrate on my studying, so I stood from the dining room table and carried my work into the living room to join them.

"Hey babe." Kennedy greeted. "Biology?" she questioned nodding at the binder in my hands.

"Yup." I replied dropping myself into the armchair right across from her.

"Need help with something?" she asked.

I let out a low chuckle. "Ken last I checked I was the one tutoring you in Biology back in High School."

"Hey that was only because I had a massive crush on you, but didn't know how to talk to you."

"So you chose the chapter on the reproductive system to ask for help?" I inquired raising an eyebrow.

Ethan reacted for the first time since I entered the room at this question with a bark of laughter.

"You didn't."

"Oh. Yes. She did."

"Okay! Der. We both know that our teacher was evil and that I begged her to tutor me at least through that chapter. I was mortified that she asked you to help me with that chapter."

"I'd claim begging for mercy too." Ethan muttered as I responded with a "mmhmm sure babe"

"Wow. I hate you both right now."

"Then don't question my intelligence." I told her with a shrug returning to my work, seeing Ethan shaking his head with a smile on his face.

Glad we are amusing to you. prick.

Two hours later Ethan was finally leaving. Kennedy excused herself to the bedroom to find Tylenol leaving me to walk him out.

"Just so you know, she did ort of mention you. I just didn't know you were the boyfriend, and for the record I'm not a homewrecker. She's obviously happy with you and you're actually a decent guy. So just give me a chance to show that I can be a decent guy as well. I think you and I could actually be pretty good friends, if you don't let jealousy consume you." he said before walking out the door towards the elevator.

"Hey," I called out as he pushed the 'down' arrow.

"Yeah," he replied turning to face me.

"As long as you don't make a move on my girl. We're cool."

Nodding he turned to get on the now open elevator.

"Later man." He said as the doors closed between us.