10. Sunstorm

Sunhigh came and went like the ebb and flow of the tide, and soon the cats were making plans to leave. Herb and Trek said goodbye to their Scraps friends, with poor Clementine begging them to take her with them. Invictus and Duncan were more understated in their farewells, but it was clear that the group wasn't often apart from each other as they touched noses. 

Mudstar, who was back on his feet and fit for travel, directly addressed the group. "We'll be on our way now. Thank you for your hospitality. We promise we'll return Herb and Trek to you in one piece in no time at all!"

Lowering his greying head respectfully, the Scraps leader answered, "and we shall keep our ears to the ground for news on any murders. Hopefully you catch the piece of foxdung who is threatening everyone's peace and quiet."

With that, the two groups parted ways, with Sunstorm's group falling into single file as Herb and Mudstar led them out of the Brightplace. It seemed quicker on the way out, and she had no doubt that it was partially down to their newfound friends whose knowledge of the place was as extensive as the Brightplace itself.

Whilst she was lost in thought as the group moved with the occasional murmur, Spidertail's tabby pelt appeared next to her, and with it came a flash of his friendly pale green eyes. "How you doing?" He asked gently as they picked their way over the last of the fences before hitting the open plains of HeatClan territory. 

"I'm ok." Sunstorm returned his warm smile, pressing her shoulder against his momentarily. "Disappointed. But doing ok."

The tom looked away and shrugged. "Yeah, it's annoying that we haven't got any new leads." He lowered his breath, getting closer so that only she could hear him. "And it's annoying that we've been saddled with these two street cats."

"Huh?" The ginger she-cat's brow furrowed into a frown. "They're here to help us?" 

"I don't like the way that Trek is. Gives off some bad vibes. They're rogues, Sunstorm, and honestly, I'm not sure why we're trusting them."

"You do realise, Foxstar was murdered!? And there's the possibility that it was meant to be Cloudstar?" She snapped back, her voice raising a little. Mistheart glanced back and gave her a frown, and Sunstorm grimaced, once again lowering her tone. "They invited us into their home and looked after us all, especially Mudstar. You saw that he was in a bad way last night. By StarClan, Herb saved us!"

Spidertail shrugged. "Foxstar had it coming. And listen, tell me honestly: if Cloudstar was killed, after everything he did to you and your family, would you actually care? He had a secret family in HeatClan, if I remember rightly..."

Sunstorm couldn't quite believe what she was hearing. Is this really what Spidertail thought? What others might think? That murdering someone who'd made mistakes in the past was a 'convenience'? Her eyes flitted over the body of Spidertail as the light scattered through the clouds, creating shadows as they walked through sunbeams. Part of her wondered if perhaps her friend was right. Cloudstar had hurt her family more than anything, and Foxstar had never been a benevolent leader. There was a split in her heart, each one tugging at her mind to win her over, one wanting her to believe that murder in any capacity was wrong and yet something more sinister that she hadn't known before that was eager to side with Spidertail. 

"Cloudstar is my father. This is a threat to my family." She stated, though she didn't sound entirely convinced and there was no doubt that Spidertail could see it. 

His gaze made her uneasy as he bore into her soul with those eyes so green. "No, Sunstorm. Berrystep and Skyleap and all three of her kits are your family. ColdClan is your family. Your family are cats who love you, cats who will put you and your happiness before anything else... like me." There was a pause in his short monologue as he let the words set in. But, as quickly as the words had rolled off his tongue, he shook his head and turned it towards those in front. "We should catch up with them." With that, he shot off, closing the gap between them and the main group.