17. Skyleap

Anger had fuelled Skyleap on the way home from the gathering. Like a grey blur she'd frantically raced over fallen trees and boulders to get back to camp. The only thing her mind could think about was the Scraps cats, and how much she wanted to rip them apart like they'd done to her family and friends. 

"Murderers, murderers, murderers..."

So had been the chant after Ferretkit's testimony, and Mudstar's embarrassing confession of letting the Scraps cats into ColdClan's camp. 

Her sister had pleaded on their behalf, the traitor that she was. "It doesn't make sense," she'd said. "There were murders before they even arrived!"

But nobody has listened, and the ginger she-cat had been drowned out by the woeful cries, calling for the Scraps cats to be brought to justice -- Skyleap herself had been at the front of the frenzied mob, screaming her pleads upwards to the leaders asking for the chance to bring them their deaths.

And now, here she was, on her way to deliver StarClan's punishment. Unfortunately, she had not been permitted to kill them instantly. There were concerns from many senior cats that there was an insider involved, and the decision had been made to speak to each cat individually to try and draw out information about any traitors. She imagined that Clementine would be the first to crack.

Clementine...

So the sweet apricot-coated cat wasn't so innocent after all, hmm? Skyleap would never have guessed. She had trusted her precious kits with that monster! No, she would be the first to be interrogated. Skyleap was planning it all out in her head as she moved, as lithe and fast as a shooting star, approaching camp at lightning speed.

As she tumbled into camp, there was a placid sensation that loitered, with many cats clearly already asleep (though most had stayed up to greet the incoming gathering invitees). Dust flew up around her in a small cloud, drifting away into the darkness as her head whipped from side to side in an attempt to seek out the Scraps cats. Mudstar, who had not been too far behind her, rolled into camp at the same moment she spotted them.

Crouched in a corner murmuring among themselves, the three cats looked up only when Skyleap approached, each of them offering her a warm look. They must have been rather surprised when Skyleap flung herself at Trek (who was much larger than she was) and battered him to the floor. 

"Hey! Stop it!" He called out, trying not to hit her back as she swiped at his face. Mudstar stood behind her with a glare, and slowly, a mixture of gathering cats and cats who had stayed at camp came over to watch the commotion. Whispering to each other, it quickly became clear to the uniformed what was happening. 

In a flash, Spidertail was at her side, his mottled pelt barely visible in the darkness. He hissed towards Herb and Clementine, who backed away in confusion.

"What's happened?" Herb said calmly, putting himself between the ColdClan warrior and little Clementine, who had never looked so scared.

Keeping her prisoner pinned down, Skyleap stopped for a moment to turn her attention to the Scraps' leader. "You've been found out," she grunted. "We know your dirty little secret. You murderers."

The clan seemed to come alive at the word, and the yowls and pain shook Skyleap to her bones. The feeling in their voices was unparalleled, and all Skyleap wanted to do was make it better for them.

It was Mudstar who took control of the situation, as ever. "Webfall -- prepare the old mountain lion cave. Get Rowanwhisker to help you find some branches to use". 

Quickly becoming clear to Skyleap what Mudstar wanted to do, she released her grip on Trek, who leapt into the air with a shocked huff. Steadily the clan encircled them, until there was no escape on any corner. They had their murderers.