Chapter 9: The Discovery and Planning a Rescue

Tim landed as quietly as he could and waited for Tygra and the Kittens to follow suit. He heard two light thuds hit the ground at almost the same time and surmised that that would have been the Kittens and Tim listened as they moved over to the side to make room for Tygra. Not half a minute later, there was a slightly louder thud in the space that the Kittens had just vacated. Tim watched as the shadowy form straightened from the slightly bent position and turn to looked at him.

"We'll meet back here once we have the information and the others," David whispered as they all gathered close.

"Right," Matt answered back as he looked around and went on alert.

"Good luck, you guys," Selena said as she moved passed Tim, Tygra, and the Kittens.

"Thanks. Same goes for the rest of you," Tim replied as he watched the darkness swallow them up one by one.

"How do we get to the General's room from here?" WilyKat asked as he quickly peered around the building and then pulled back.

"We stay in the shadows and go in-between the buildings," Tim answered, coming up beside WilyKat and looking around the side of the building.

"Lets go," Tygra said, trying to shake the feeling of being watched. Tim nodded and silently disappeared around the building's side.

They covered a lot of ground by the time they came upon an open space with no shadows to hide in. Tim backed up and tapped Tygra on the shoulder and when Tygra looked at him, he pointed upwards to the rooftop. Tygra nodded and moved to crouch slightly at the edge of the overhang and cupped his hands in a step. Tim carefully stepped into Tygra's hands and stretched up to reach the overhang and managed to grip the edge of it with his fingertips as Tygra slowly straightened to his full height. Tim levered himself up and over the overhang and onto the roof and then laid down on his stomach and reached down to help the Kittens onto the roof.

Once they were all on the rooftop, Tim knelt down and turned in the direction of the building that housed the General's rooms. They had to leap across the open space in order to continue on their way. Tim knew that the guards were still on the other side of that row of buildings, so if they hurried, they could jump across to the opposite roof and be down the other side before the guards even made it to the building where they were currently.

Tim stood up and got a running start and managed to clear that space with ease and then dropped down to lay flat against the roof. He waited out of the way for the others and heard the thumps of them landing on the roof beside him. He watched as Tygra slowly to a crouch and made his way to the edge of the roof and gaze down. He motioned with a hand that all was clear and Tim and the Kittens quietly made their way to him. Tygra jumped down first and Tim helped the Kittens down and then jumped himself. He brushed up against Tygra as he landed and felt a hand glide down his back in a comforting gesture.

Tim paused a moment and took a deep breath and let it out before turning and heading to the building that held the General's rooms. They crept around to a back window and Tim reached up and tried to open the window. He had just gotten it opened when they heard voices coming their way; Tim thought fast and gestured for them to crawl under the building. It was cramped, but it worked for the situation they were in. None of them so much as breathed as they watched two pairs of boots go passed their hiding spot. They waited in a tense silence until they could no longer hear the sound of boots on the concrete.

Tim slowly ventured out from under the building and made sure that area was clear for now. He reached back and gave a thumbs up that it was clear. He resumed opening the window and held it open for the Kittens.

"What kind of papers are we looking for?" WilyKit asked in a whisper as she watched WilyKat go through the window first.

"Anything that mentions guns or terrorists or an attack," Tim answered back as he lifted WilyKit up and helped her brother get her through the window.