Chapter 4: A Step Back

Serephina woke up startled noticing it was already light outside. She quickly dressed before running outside. When she reached the barn she found Varick already working on feeding the animals.

"Good morning." Varick gave a soft smile, saddened by all the rips he noticed on Serephina's dress. It seemed like it did not suit such a beautiful person.

"Good morning," Serephina curtsied, then stood there uncertain what to say after the conversation they had the other night.

"Jeffrey was quite peckish today," Varick commented, petting his horse's nose. Serephina chuckled glad Varick broke the ice first.

"Oh he was?"

"I think he knew it was not you feeding him so he thought he could get away with asking for more, but I saw through that facade." Varick lifted his head to signal his pride in not being tricked by the rooster.

"Poor Jeffrey, thank you for helping this morning... I am sorry I overslept." Serephina picked up a bucket of grain and picked up where Varick had left off.

"You are most welcome," Varick responded, softly laughing as his horse nudged Varick's hand with his nose, annoyed that Varick had momentarily stopped petting it. Serephina's heart warmed at the sound of Varick's laugh and the sight of Varick's smile.

"Hopefully by tomorrow, I will be rested enough to take over doing the chores again..." Serephina declared, with determination written on her face. Varick frowned, shaking his head.

"Serephina...I will help you as long as we are here. I know how to help, I enjoy the mental break. You cannot stop me." Varick insisted, wondering when this girl would just give in and accept his help.

"I have managed on my own for quite some time..." Serephina argued back,

"I understand that. I am not saying you cannot do this on your own, you have proven and shown that you are more than capable of doing this on your own. Just because you can doesn't mean you should, at least with so many of us here" Varick countered right back.

"You are right." Serephina tearfully nodded, Varick's words finally sinking in for her. What was the harm in letting him help? She was tired, he was bored, and everything was done more efficiently while they worked together.

"Those are words I never thought I would hear you say." Varick teased, relief flooding him as he got Serephina to back down.

"Do not get too used to it your majesty" Serephina teased.

"I promise I won't." Varick put his hand over his heart, with a smile before continuing the chores with Serephina. Together they finished the chores quickly, allowing them both to retreat back to the house before lunch.

" You are becoming a farmer right before our eyes! "Teased Lewis as Varick came in covered in mud.

"I am not giving up my day job any time soon if that is what you are insinuating." Varick teased back. Lewis smiled, happy to have his normally serious brother banter with him.

"Although he makes a wonderful addition to my farm he is better at being a prince "Serephina chimed in.

"Just because of that comment, I think we should trade jobs for a day."Varick jokingly suggested.

"I could never do your job," Serephina replied sheepishly, not enjoying the joke.

"I don't know, Princess Serephina sounds good to me," Leah noted, entering from the hall.

"Running a kingdom is not too different from running a farm. Once you find the Jeffrey's you are good to go!" Exclaimed Varick.

"I think I will stick to farming." Insisted Serephina, shifting uncomfortably