20

Zelda was the first one to wake the next morning. She inhaled the scent of sex and sweat and the sweet reminders of the night filled with passion flooded her mind. She looked at the sleeping brunette in her arms and smiled to herself.

She pulled her arms around her tighter and burried her nose in her neck. She didn't want her to wake up. She knew that as soon as those blue orbs would open, their time together would be over for good. She didn't know what she would do without Mary in her life.

She wasn't ready to face the truth so she hoped for a few more minutes of peace and quiet before she would have to accept the reality she'd find herself in.

The brunette moved in Zelda's arms and revealed her beautiful face, still fast asleep. Zelda brushed a dark curl out of Mary's face and kissed her cheek softly.

In that exact moment, Zelda found Mary to be more beautiful than any picture Picasso could have painted or any words Shakespear could have chosen.

Zelda traced her side with one of her fingers, admiring the woman in her arms. She still couldn't believe how they ended up... there but she wouldn't change a thing. The times she had been with Mary, had been the best of her life and she feared the moment Mary would become a perfect stranger.

Because that's what she was... Perfect and still a stranger. Zelda didn't know much about the witch. To be honest, she knew nothing about her but the love she felt towards her.

Mary awoke with the feeling of something brushing up and down her sides. She didn't open her eyes, enjoying the private moment.

"What am I going to do without you?" she heard Zelda say and her heart broke beyond what she would have thought of as possible. Either way, she'd inflict pain on Zelda and she hated herself for it.

"You are the best and worst thing that has happened to me," Zelda said and kissed her lips softly.

The words hurt. They hurt badly.

"What outweighs the other?" Mary asked and Zelda looked into her eyes insecurely.

"I don't know..." Zelda said truthfully.

Mary nodded, understanding. She had never been the cause of happiness so why should she now? There was no good coming out of her actions. There was nothing she could do to change the fact that she meant pain.

Mary sat up, hugging her legs close. She felt more vulnerable than she had ever felt. The rejection from Zelda hurt her more than she wanted to admit to herself. She cared about the damn witch and couldn't just leave her.

She had thought it would be easier. She had thought it would have been less painful. She didn't know anything about these emotions she was having but she learned fast that ignoring them didn't work very well.

There was so much going on in her mind that she just wanted her mind to shut off. She didn't want to think, she didn't want to care and she didn't want to feel.

She had been doing more than just fine with caring about nobody but herself. She had been doing more than just fine with not feeling. She had been perfectly alright with not overthinking things.

But since meeting the ginger, she hadn't been able to do anything she knew, anything that comforted her. She was thrown into this big unknown with nobody to guide her and she felt truly lost.

Zelda missed the warmth of Mary's body against hers instantly. It's fine she just needs some time, Zelda had thought.

But when she saw Mary's body shake and heard her silent cries, she knew that nothing was fine. She wrapped her arms around the witch, pulling her close in the hope of comforting her.

"I don't know what to do," Mary said and her vision was blinded by the tears. She truly didn't know what to do. She wanted to stay with Zelda so damn much but she knew that there was no way she could let it happen.

"Maybe talk to me? Talking helps."

"You'd hate me if I told you," Mary said and Zelda knew that she should leave, fearing what might happen if she didn't.

"I could never hate you," she said and both of them knew it was true.

"There is nothing on this world that you could do that would make me hate you," she said and brushed the tears away.

"Careful... You might say something, you'll regret," Mary said and started to calm back down.

No, her mission was clear. She couldn't bring more sorrow upon Zelda. After everything she had done, Zelda was still there, caring. Zelda was far too good for her and she'd never deserve the pureness of her heart.

She'd do everything to protect her loved ones and she admired her for it.

"Maybe you should leave..." Mary said and her voice was dripping from resentment.

It hurt to hurt Zelda.

"Maybe I should..." Zelda said and grew as cold as Mary.

It hurt Zelda that Mary wasn't able to let her in. They had agreed on something and she'd stick to it.

The two women got dressed quietly, their own minds torturing them more than the thick tension between them. Mary had to get to work and Zelda just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.

The two of them met at the door, being reminded of the other's presence.

"You first," Mary said and opened the door for Zelda.

"Thank you," she said.

The two of them stood opposite each other and just stared at each other silently. Neither of them wanted to process that this would be their last private encounter but both of them wanted to take in the other to the best of their abilities.

"Goodbye, Ms. Wardwell," Zelda finally got out and was barely able to hold it together.

"Goodbye, Ms. Spellman," Mary said and the two of them looked each other in the eyes for a few more seconds before they went in two different directions.

Neither of them turned around and both of them shed at least one tear.

It would be over soon, Mary thought. Only a few more days...

---

Wow, another chapter! Be proud of me and please don't kill me. It hurt to hurt my poor babies. <3