Chapter 8 - His Own Kind

It was close to midnight when they made it to their destination where dense forest surrounded the home, hidden from any path or highway high in the mountains. Not even the moonlight shimmered through the leaves, which forced Archibald to rely on memory as he guided them. They spent several hours walking, and despite the chill in the air, Corbin could wring the sweat from his shirt.

"You three wait here," Archibald said. "My friend isn't expecting us, so it's best to approach this favor wisely."

He made his way up the brick path, and they watched him lift his hand to knock, the sound ricocheting off the trees. Crickets filled the air with chirps colliding against the rustling of pine needles, and there wasn't anyone for miles, yet the percussions in the night were like eyes spying on their movements. A chill zig-zagged up Corbin's spine when the door opened, giving him hope of being inside its warmth.

The porch light flicked on, illuminating Archibald, but it only cast shadows across the other person. He twisted at the waist while motioning behind him, and the person stepped out to look in their direction. Underneath the light, they became clearer as Corbin squinted his eyes to have a better look. The tan skin, dark eyes, crew cut, and stocky yet muscular build caused his brows to fly to his hairline. He knew this man!

Gravity pulled him forward, with legs auto-piloting him up the pathway. At first, the man seemed puzzled, but recognition bloomed across his face with eyes going wide, and he bounded down the steps.

"Corbin?!"

"Gunner!"

Their bodies collided as they embraced, with Gunner lifting Corbin a few feet off the ground, spinning him. After a few twirls, he set him down to get a good look at him.

"You're all grown up!"

"I could say the same about you." Corbin grinned.

"Hold on a second..." Archibald approached them. "You know one another?"

"Unfortunately," Corbin laughed.

"I've known Corbin since he was a teenager, but Clara has known him even longer. She and her brother Coyote used to visit Corbin's folks. His grandfather helped Clara hone her water witching skills."

"My father and Coyote were once best friends," Corbin added.

"And they're not anymore?" Archibald asked.

"My parents passed away when I was a little boy."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"It's ok. It was a long time ago, and I had my grandfather to look after me."

"But what an amazing reunion this is!" Gunner exclaimed as he hooked an arm around Corbin's shoulders and squeezed. "Clara is going to flip when she sees you!"

"So, you'll let all four of us spend the night then?" Archibald asked.

"Of course. Mi casa es su casa," Gunner replied. "Now come on, I want to hear about how the four of you got together."

∆∆∆

It was dead silent as all five of them sat in the living room with the information sinking in. The fireplace's wood logs snapped, with orange sparks shooting upwards like confetti, and the clock on the mantle chimed as the hands struck midnight.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Gunner exclaimed.

"I wish I was."

"Archibald, what the hell were you thinking bringing him here!?"

"I thought this would be the safest place to rest."

"Well, I've changed my mind!" Gunner abandoned his rocking chair, and the momentum caused it to sway.