Chapter 21 - *Alternate Ending*

A cloud of smoke surrounded the stocky man as Luna took a seat. She waved it away, momentarily drawing his attention from the card table. He tossed a few chips onto the worn velvet and continued observing players. It was like he was intentionally ignoring her—a challenge she was willing to face, but then he spoke. 

“I haven’t seen you around here before. New?” 

Luna smiled. “Hey Warren, am I new here?”

“New?” grunted the man across from her. “I’m surprised the doors not engraved with your name.”

“Interesting…” the stocky man cocked a brow. “That means you’re the person who knows the answers?”

Luna leaned in closer and placed her hand on his thigh. “And what would you like to know?”

“Is your name Luna?”

“Yes,” she replied, the smile fading from her lips. “How did you guess?”

“I heard you have the gift of seeing. Is that true?” Luna retracted her hand, but he snatched her wrist, causing the sleeve of his shirt to reveal a tattoo on his arm. His eyes followed her gaze to the dark ink of a snake eating its tail. He smiled. “Relax, I won’t hurt you.”

“What do you want?”

“I’m Montgomery.” He let her go. “How about we speak somewhere a little quieter? I have a room upstairs.”

“Or how about we talk right here?” Luna opened her leather jacket, revealing a revolver.

“Suit yourself,” he sighed. “I work for The Water Division. Ever heard of it?”

“Can’t say I have.”

Montgomery held back a smile. “We’ve been fighting the good fight for a while, so everyone has access to water instead of rich communities who can afford deliveries by the truckload. But now we’re starting a new campaign. We’re building factories to pull water from underground reserves for cities far from the coast. The only trouble is, we need Water Witchers to help us find these underground water tables, so we know where to build.”

“And you expect them to volunteer for it?”

“Of course. We would pay them a fair wage, and they would honor their country by lending us their skills.”

Luna chuckled. “Fat chance!”

“Why so, pessimistic?”

“Because. Groups have hunted them like trophy animals for decades, and you expect them to trust you?”

“My hope is they will. Otherwise, the government will force them, and I don’t want that. It goes against my morals. Which is why I need you.”

“Oh yeah? And how’s that?” Luna scoffed. “I’m not a Witcher.”

Montgomery fished into the breast pocket of his Hawaiian shirt for a folded sheet of paper. As he unfolded it, goosebumps spread over Luna’s neck. She shivered.

“They informed me The Hounds tracked a Water Witcher through here.” He laid the paper flat on the table and slid it to Luna. When she glanced down, she saw a sketch of Corbin’s face staring back at her. “Since you’re the gal with the answers, I need you to use your gift to locate this man.”

“Never seen him before.” Luna shrugged and slid the sketch back to him.

“You sure?” He slid it back. “Take another look.”

“Positive. That isn’t how my visions work.” She slid it back. “Plus, I would’ve heard about a witcher by now.”

“Well, if you see him, I would appreciate you letting me know.” Montgomery held up his palms. “I just want to talk to him. See if he’s willing to work for the Water Division. That’s all.”