Chapter 12

A vampire opened the door and let Caroline, Bonnie, and Kol into the home of the infamous Marcel Gerard. To the human public, Marcel was just another independently wealthy benefactor, a man who had come into his inheritance and chose to spend his youth in a city where the party never ended. To the supernatural set of the South, Marcel was royalty. A king in his own right. King of the Quarter...or so Caroline had been told.

She stepped over the threshold and into the foyer, her heeled ankle boots clicking against the black and white marble tiles. Above hung a large, crystal chandelier; its light gleaming against the brass candleholders fixed to the walls. In front of them was a grand, antique table, a large spread of flowers displayed on top. Just to their left was a staircase; it's black iron-and-brass railing ascending toward the upper flowers of the house.

"Marcel and your friends are in the parlor," the vampire announced, gesturing for the three of them to follow him.

Caroline was beginning to learn how to identify the age of a vampire, based on the customs they still clung to from their pasts. Judging by the way this man seem to act as some sort of valet to Marcel—menacing but still very proper-she guessed he must have been from the early 20th century.

The trio walked through the crimson entryway and toward the parlor. It was extravagant, Caroline thought, with the amount of antiques she saw displayed. Original artwork hung along the walls depicting various periods of art and there were more fleur-de-lis's on display than she could count. She paused in front of a portrait, one that looked familiar to her. His eyes were a darker shade of midnight than she had come to know, his hair longer and pulled back behind his neck, his mouth turned down the corners. Her own pulled up at the sight of Klaus in such a frilly costume, looking all regal and brooding. On his right was Rebekah in an equally frilly dress, her hair in a high bouffant, and on his left was Elijah.

"What a pompous lot," Kol whispered over her shoulder.

"Where are you?" Caroline inquired. "Daggered?"

"Having fun," he replied with a wink. "Couldn't be bothered to sit for hours while this was done."

A hearty laugh called her attention forward and away from the grim family portrait. They entered the parlor and she saw Klaus, Stefan, and a third man she did not know. A stranger with a shining smile and mischief in his eyes.

"I see the rest of your party has arrived," the man grinned, his teeth large and white. "Kol Mikaelson, it's good to see you out of the box."

"Marcel," Kol said, returning his embrace. The two men separated and Kol turned to the girls. "Allow me to introduce Miss Bonnie Bennett."

Marcel stepped toward her, taking her hand. "I've never met a Bennett witch who wasn't absolutely stunning. And I mean that both literally and figuratively."

Bonnie returned his smile with a small giggle and stepped aside.

"And this," Kol said, "is Caroline Forbes."

Marcel looked over at Caroline, transfixing her with his sparkling eyes, turning the full power of his charming smile onto her. He took her gloved in his. "Well, they certainly don't make southern belles like they used to anymore, but I can see the mold has again been broken with you." He bent forward and placed a chaste kiss on top of her lacy knuckles. "Caroline, my home is yours, for as long as you would like to stay. Have you been to New Orleans before?"

"Nope," Caroline said. "This is my first visit."

Marcel straightened, still holding onto her hand. "I hope that you enjoy it."

Klaus cleared his throat behind Marcel and stepped forward to take Caroline's hand into his own. Marcel backed away, allowing Klaus to assert his territory.