Carol

Entry 1 – March 22nd, 1985

I’ve finally arrived at the small town where I’ll be conducting the case I was assigned to, and now that I’m done unpacking for the long stay I can finally study this assignment in more detail. A rather strange one, if you ask me.

Several children have gone missing in this area over the past twenty years, and there’s no evidence of what happened to them or where they go. It’s ‘as if they vanished into thin air’ as one local newspaper puts it. Regardless of all the previous failed investigations, even with one resulting in an agent retiring from his job for some undisclosed reason, the Bureau has named me one of their best agents and told me, “If anyone can solve this case, it’s you Fox!” However, what seems odd to me it that apparently no one outside of the Bureau has heard of this story, and that it is to stay that way for classified reasons. Weird, I thought, but it's a better job that taking in prank calls from immature kids. So I headed on over and arrived at this cosy little house where I’ll be staying. Full view of the town from the top of the hill where the house is situated, I’ll have the perfect overview of any suspicious activity that may occur.

Tomorrow I’ll begin my investigation into the case. After the long drive the only thing on my mind is food and a good old, well-deserved rest.

Entry 2 – March 23rd, 1985

Waking up this morning, I decided to begin with possibly the easiest task, interviewing friends and relatives of the missing children. Heading out to town, I arrived at the home of one family who had lost their eight-year old daughter Ruby five years ago. They were oblivious to how or why it had happened, although had their suspicions about a certain town member being responsible for not only their daughter's disappearance but all the others too.

Apparently, his name is Marcus Wren. Sixty-five years of age, he tends to hang around in the local park when the children are playing games with each other. Nothing suspicious has been found about him, even after the police obtained a warrant to search his house. He claims, “I’m just a lonely old man with nothing to look forward to but death.” With another lead in my collection, I thanked the family for their hospitality. Just as I was about to leave, the family’s other child, a twelve-year old boy called Brandon, came bursting through the door. He apologised profusely to me, and then proceeded to beg his mum if he could stay out for another hour. “I promise I’ll be ok. Besides, Carol is keeping an eye on us.” “Alrighty then,” sighed his mum, “but be back in time for dinner. Ok?” “Thanks a bunch mum!” he replied. Just as he was about to leave, I asked him if I could tag along. “Sure you can, mister. The more the merrier! I’ll just go tell Carol to expect another.” Before I even had a chance to ask who Carol was, he charged off in the direction of the park.

I eventually caught up to him in the park, and saw about four or five other children there with him. No adults in sight, only children. Confused, I asked where this Carol woman was. “She’s over there, silly.” One of the younger girls replied, pointing at a bench on the side of the park in which no one sat. Swiftly, one of the older girls whispered something in her. “Oh yeah, that’s right. You can’t see her.” At this point, I felt like the children were pulling my leg. A little joke on the new guy in town. Realising that the gag was up, I told them to be very proud that they’ve fooled someone of my standards. The children then proceeded to look confused.

“You think we’re joking, don’t you?” A boy asked.

“They never believe us. No one does. All think we’re just a group of jokers.” Brandon told the other children. He looked genuinely sad, as did a few of the other children. Eventually, one of the older girls decided to attempt to explain to me what they’re on about.