Saint J

No one was sitting next to the blond kid in the old diner, one of those that still had a counter as well as tables. No one dared to sit next to him at the counter as he sat there, not even with food yet, just blankly staring at the dingy countertop. Then the door opened rather quietly. People turned to see where the draft was coming from and saw another young man walk in with a nice, comfortable face. The young man looked around and caught the blond kid. He looked at the blond kid for a few seconds before looking around again at the booths, all full of people who appeared to be avoiding looking at either of them. The young man then walked over to the counter and sat in a seat right next to the blond kid, who never looked up from the counter. Sitting next to each other, both of them looked about the same age.

A fifty-year-old waitress walked up and gave the blond kid a cup of coffee and asked the other young man what he'd like, who then said that he needed more time to decide but would like some coffee as well. A few minutes after she walked away he began to fidget a little out of boredom and kept throwing side glances at the blond kid, who was now staring blankly at the cup of coffee.

After another minute he broke down and said to the blond kid, "You usually hang out here?"

"That's a bit of a weird question, don't you think?" the kid said.

"Hey, I heard it's a popular dive around here. I'm just trying to start a friendly conversation here." The blond kid just took a drink of his coffee.

"What'd you get to eat?"

"This."

"Just coffee?"

"All I got money for right now."

Just then the waitress came back with young man's coffee and went away after he told her he just wanted a BLT, lots of mayo.

"So what's your name?"

The blond kid hesitated, but then reluctantly answered, "Jeremy."

"Kay," the young man said before taking a drink of his coffee.

A moment of silence, then Jeremy said, "Well?"

"Well what?"

"Well, what's yours?"

"Mike," the young man quipped.

Jeremy nodded and asked, "So how long you've been a dropout?"

"I ain't a dropout," Mike said.

"Oh, really? Then how come I've never seen you at school? And how come you're here at one in the afternoon on a Wednesday?"

"I'm probably not in your school district, and I just got out of a doctor's appointment, with little intention of going back. Bit of a slow day, anyway. And what about you?"

Jeremy shrugged and said, "Nah, I'm not a dropout. Mom would kill me if I was. I'm just not there today."

"Just today?" Mike asked.

Jeremy got a little steely-eyed. "I'm not sure I like what you're implying."

"That offends you?"

He just shrugged and said, "Nah, not really. You're probably not too far off, anyway."

They just sat in silence for a little bit, with Mike back to twiddling his fingers and Jeremy staring at his coffee.

"So you aren't from here, are you?" Jeremy said.

Mike shook his head, saying, "Not this town, no, though I'm not too far away. Only about fifteen or twenty minutes, maybe. I never had too many reasons to come around here, though."