two

the day had finally arrived, it was time to show everyone that the tour guide job was mine.

i woke up on time, and rushed into my closet and grabbed the outfit i had organised, beige linen pants and a floaty white blouse.

i looked dressy, but not too dressy.

i walked over to my vanity and applied my usual daily makeup.

c'mon now, you didn't think i would be one of those no makeup "i'm not like other girls", protagonists did you?

i grabbed my purse and went downstairs, where my mum was waiting for me.

"wow evelyn, my little girl is going to her first job interview" my mother said sentimentally.

we walked out of the house, got in the car and drove the 20 minute drive to the zoo.

soon, we arrived at the zoo and got to the corporate office building that was next to it, my mum dropped me off and told me to call her when i was finished.

i walked in and signed in with the secretary, letting him know that I was here for my interview.

"please take a seat evelyn" he said kindly, gesturing towards a comfy sofa "soon it will be your turn".

i sat down and started waited patiently for my turn, when robert irwin abruptly burst through the door and walked up to the desk.

"what can I do for you today robert?" the secretary asked.

"is my mum available?" he questioned.

"she soon will be, she's just in a meeting with ms gardner, do you mind waiting a couple of minutes?" he replied.

"of course" he said.

robert turned away from the front desk, and made eye contact with me, giving me a slight friendly smile, and then strolled over to the sofa that i was sitting on and took a seat next to me.

"hey, you seem to be around the same age as me, what's your name" he questioned.

"i'm evelyn" i replied, nervously smiling at him.

oh gosh i was being such an idiot.

"hi evelyn, i'm robert" he said and gave him an awkward wave.

"i'm uh... just waiting for my tour guide interview" i told him.

"really? i sometimes help as a tour guide too" he said.

"yeah i uh... heard" i replied.

then a lady appeared out of one of the many office doors scattered on the perimeter of the room and called my name.

"yes i'm here" i said, "very good evelyn, i'm rebecca, come in and have a seat" she told me.

i got up and walked away from the couch, giving robert another small awkward wave as i entered her office.

the interview went better than i expected, because she asked me so many questions that i am passionate about and i could answer every single one of them.

"well evelyn, that concludes our interview, you have got the job" rebecca informed me.

i let out a small shriek of excitement and she laughed.

i thanked her and walked out of the office building whilst calling my mum, asking her to come and pick me up.

watch out australia zoo, i'm coming for you!

———————————————————————————
more uncalled for (but maybe good) advice:

this morning i was listening to an episode of my all time favourite podcast, anything goes by emma chamberlain.

in the particular episode emma was discussing the "cool girl/person" stereotype and how society pushes this standard onto us.

how we are taught from a young age to compare ourselves with others and judge people.

however, it got me thinking, and i think particularly as teenage girls, most of us have a habit of being extra judgemental.

seeing other girls who might seem smarter, prettier, cooler than us and thinking "why can't i be more like her?"

it's unrealistic though, because everyone is unique in their own way.

flowers do not have to look exactly the same to be able to bloom.

and the thing is, constant comparison is an unhealthy mindset because all it does is bring negativity, and it is important for girls to support each other, not tear each other down.

so the next time you find yourself comparing, stop and remember that you are perfect just the way you are - everyone has insecurities and you are beautiful.

and you are enough.

i really like this poem:

anyway, the particular podcast episode is called "is anyone actually cool?" and i would really recommend listening to it, because i found it very helpful

but that was some random uncalled for advice :)

- charlotte ♡