Thirty Seven

"He's been in his room for a half hour," Klaus announces quietly, looking at the clock on his wall.

"He hates me," Caroline pouts, sitting against the wall.

"He doesn't hate you."

"Yes he does."

"Caroline, I know my brother. You're the last person he would ever hate. If anything, he hates me," Klaus sighs, running a hand through his hair.

"You and I, us, it wont work out, will it?" Caroline asks, a hint of hopelessness in her voice.

Klaus eyes her sadly, not wanting to say it. He knows it won't work out, of course he does- but admitting that?

"Don't say that," he argues.

"Why not? We've already hurt my best friend- your brother. That's a big enough warning sign for me to end this," she says, turning her back to him, not wanting to look into his eyes.

"So you're just giving up?"

"Does it look like we have a choice?" she shakes her head at him.

Klaus stands, daring to walk closer to her. His hand reaches out to cup her cheek, and for a second, she lets him, before gently pushing him off.

"We have a choice," he whispers, his hand reaching once again to cup her cheek, forcing her to look at him.

"Kol is crying in the next room because he found out about us, Klaus! He would be heartbroken if we ever made this more than what it already is. I'm sorry, but I can't do that to him," she shakes her head.

He sighs, "I'm not asking you to."

Deep down he knows she's right.

"Maybe this is for the better," she admits, shrugging.

"What do you mean?"

"Think about it, Klaus. We constantly bicker with each other over the dumbest stuff. We never got along for months. Us in a relationship? It'd be even worse. You know that," Caroline sighs in frustration, thinking of any excuse to make the pain of having to stop whatever it is she and Klaus have, a little more bearable.

"Do you really believe that?" he stares at her, his eyes intimidating.

"Don't you?"

"No, I don't, actually. But if you do, by all means, leave," he shrugs as if it's nothing, as if it doesn't break him to hear her speak ill of their relationship. Does she even believe it?

"Klaus, I just mean-"

"That you're making excuses as to why this should stop so you don't have to face the reality that is you actually having feelings for me?" Klaus asks, angry.

"Are you seriously going to act this childish? Of course I want to pursue whatever it is we have. You don't think that's the only thing I want? Klaus, I like you! Okay? But I can't do this to him. Kol is my best friend. I don't know if you know what that's like, but I can't lose him! Not to this. So I'm sorry if you're mad I'm giving up, but yes. I'm giving up. I'm giving up because I have to, not because I want to. Don't get it twisted," Caroline fires back, their lips practically inches apart.

It takes everything in her not to lean in and kiss him right now. Everything.

When Klaus doesn't say anything, she decides to speak again.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go apologize to Kol," Caroline exits the room, closing the door a little too harshly on the way out.

She makes her way to Kol's room, sighing in defeat at the locked door. She gently knocks on it, frowning when there's no answer.