TWENTY EIGHT

cheeky new years present for you, new finan fic called kingdom fall, go check it out (

cheeky new years present for you, new finan fic called kingdom fall, go check it out (..because apparently i can't stop writing finan fics lmao it's literally my third)

happy 3rd january hope u all had a fab day!! and i am so sorry for not updating for the last few days it's been hectic as fuck but ayyy here's 28

and if you're wondering at the rate this plot is going this book is going to be a lot longer than sin lmao (i already miss morwenna.. perhaps the alternate ending will prompt a sequel.. who knows..)

enjoy x

word count; 2074

Rosamund

Fleeing Gwynedd was easier as a thought than actually done. Llanfaes, in actuality, was easier. We reached the gates and were simply allowed passed; Lord Iwan was not intelligent enough, clearly, to shut the gates before attempting a coup. Alas, we passed through easily. But we would be foolish to think it would continue in such a manner; Gwynedd was notorious for banditry and I had no doubt that the three of us would be seen as easy targets. 

The night was well into fruition. It was dangerous to travel at night but we could not stop, not until we reached the eastern border, straight into Mercia. I had no doubt Lord Iwan would send men to all potential places. I had no doubt they would ride through the night to find us, and so, we continued on our path. 

"Do you think he's alive?" Aelwyd croaked. We had not uttered a word since leaving Llanfaes and merely hurried across the landscape as quickly as we could, but not even stallions could ride for the miles it would take to get to the border; we had slowed down for a short time, but that would be all it was. Short.

I knew precisely who Aelwyd meant. There was no doubt about it; she loved her brother and she didn't wish to see him dead. I was silent for a few moments as I pondered my answer. She was sixteen. She was too young. Owain would disagree, claiming she had to face the realities of this world, but I wanted to protect her. I knew the effect this would have on such a young girl. 

"He's no fool, Aelwyd. I'm sure he'll meet us in Winchester." I spoke softly in an attempt to reassure her. She glanced up at me and a small smile pulled at her lips,

"Do you think so?"

I nodded, "He has business in Winchester. Why would he not go there? King Edward is a great friend to him, after all."

But Addela could see through my facade. She glanced at me with a frown and I looked away, avoiding her scrutiny. We didn't know where Owain was, or what he was; alive or dead. For all we knew, I was a dowager Queen. For all we knew, Owain was lying dead in a ditch. But Aelwyd did not need to think such things. I was her sister by law but acted as a blood relative would do; protecting her from the truth. If he was dead... We wouldn't know for months. Years, perhaps. Men turned up out of the blue after missing for months, it was common, and we would have to wait for him.