1: New

Chapter 1: New

Zoe

"Ma, ayoko dito." Nakayuko ako habang kumakain ng almusal. Hanggang ngayon ay hindi pa din kasi nada-digest ng utak ko ang mga pangyayari.

"Zoe, ilang beses na nating pinagusapan 'to 'di ba?" Sagot niya.

"Pero Ma wala dito ang buhay ko, wala dito ang mga kaibigan ko"

"I told you, give yourself a break. Don't be so aloof with the people that surrounds you, just give it a try. No man is an island, you will definitely have new friends here." My Mom said while smiling, as if she was so sure about the idea.

I just pout, giving him a very frustrated look, "Bakit pa kasi kailangan pa nating umalis sa Oas? Masaya na ako do'n, Ma. Napapagod na ako magpalipat lipat ng bahay."

"Wala tayong magagawa sa ngayon, kaysa naman sa hindi natin makasama ang Daddy mo." Sabi niya sa pagitan ng kaniyang pagkain.

Well, my Dad is a Pilot—I mean, was. Because he left the passenger Airlines just to join the Philippine Air Force. And I witnessed him decide between serving the people of the country and serving the country for the people. Well, of course he chose the latter—and that made our family so complicated.

It was my Father's childhood dream to become a Pilot, but it was his love for the country that push him to become a soldier. That is why I salute all the soldiers in the world whether Air Force, Army or Navy. I salute them all and I salute my father as well.

But then, hindi madaling maging anak ng isang sundalo at mas lalong hindi madaling maging asawa. There's always a fear, and I witnessed and experienced that also. That's why, we're always moving from one place to another. Kung nasaan si Dad nandoon din kami, kung maassign siya sa Luzon, sa Visayas o sa Mindanao pa 'yan, we always follow. Except! Sa duty niya siyempre, that also concludes why I don't have much friend because I don't have much time to spend.

Para kaming mga turista sa sarili naming bansa. It is so annoyingly hard.

"Zoe, tapos ka na bang kumain? Bilisan mo at first day mo pa naman ngayon baka malate kayo ni Zach!" She yelled.

"Mom, kanina pa umalis si Kuya. Iniwan na ako." I complained.

"Oo nga pala. 7 kasi pasok no'n, eh ikaw 9 pa naman. Bilisan mo na kumilos at mangangapa ka pa do'n." She grabbed her bag, kissed me in the forehead and head out to the door. "See you later, honey!"

"Bye, Mom!" Then, she stalks away.

My Mom? She's a Doctor specialized in the brain. She's a Neurologist, she treats people and I salute her also for having a strong body and mind, for standing before her children, and for being our mother and father when Dad is not around. Amen.

I finished my food, grab my bag and left the house. It was already 7:10 and I am one hour and 50 minutes early. It will only take 45 minutes drive to Stafford University — my new school. Actually, pangatlong school ko na 'to ngayong collage considering na 3rd year college pa lang ako this school year. Ugh!

My name is Maria Zoella Dy Hernaez, 18 years of age and I have a badass brother—his name is Michael Zachary Dy Hernaez, 20 years old. He is really a badass, I mean, literally. Pero I can say na of all the badass siya na yata ang pinakamabait. Cross fingers.

"Okay, help me for now, Waze." Kausap ko ang sarili ko habang sini-set si Waze. We've been here for 5 days and hindi ko pa din talaga memorize ang daan papuntang Stafford University, that is why I asked the help of my travel buddy, Mr. Waze.

So, I push the button to start the engine. I'm driving for almost 35 minutes minutes and I immediately familiarize the ways.

"In 500 meters turn right." Sabi ni Waze kaya naman nagsignal na ako agad papuntang kanan.

My driving is good. If someone's going to rate it from 1 to 10 and 10 is the highest, my driving would be 11. I can brag about it because that is the reality. I am driving since I was 10 and I am not joking.

"In 200 meters turn left." Then I turn left.

Natatanaw ko na ang Stafford. Konting drive na lang, sobrang lapit ko na, soobrang lapit ko na sana nang bigla na lang...

"WHAT THE—?!"

*