Chapter 6

Perhaps he could find comfort in the library — as a matter of fact, he had to check-in those scrolls he took... hopefully Fennec would be ok with that.
The dragonet dashed through the tunnels, escaping the questioning glances and calls from the music cave. They shouldn't call for him — he wouldn't come back, not unless nobody was there and he could rehearse alone. Right now he wanted to read some scrolls in the library. It would be a good time to check the legends scrolls now, as a matter of fact.
Quietkeep burst into the library, startling the little SandWing librarian behind the half-circle desk connected to the basic information scroll shelf. She yelped and ducked, sending scrolls flying in all directions.
Quietkeep stepped forward cautiously, peering under the desk to see a little SandWing hissing, holding an emergency dagger in her claws. Her gaze softened to see Quietkeep, and she put the dagger back.
"Uh... welcome to the library!" Fennec exploded, hopping back up and clearing her throat as she pulled a rolling scroll toward her. She folded her pale golden claws under he snout, tiny furrows appearing on her forehead.
"May I ask for your library card, please?" she asked, her tail twitching unusually. Quietkeep fluttered his wings, nodded and reached for his pouch. He carefully untied the knot, fiddled around a little before getting a grip on a little booklet with not many pages inside. Fennec tapped her claws on the desk, then snatched it from his talons as he pulled it out.
Her black eyes darted around it, the furrows deepening when she flipped it open and saw the pages. Blank.
"Excuse me, Quietkeep, did you borrow scrolls before? Did you forget to check them in, darling?" The NightWing's jaw clenched, and his claws curled around into nervous fists.
Yeeeeees...?
Is that the correct answer?
The NightWing quickly peered into her mind for a moment.
Three moons, if he took them...
It's fine! It's fine... he's not one to argue. He'll give them back!
Quietkeep nodded slowly, almost regretting that decision beforehand. Fennec's eyelid twitched, and she folded her claws around the tip of her snout again, the furrows coming back. Fennec took a deep breath, and the forced smile came back to her face.
"Ah, ok, tell me, little one, do they happen to be, I dunno... about a certain super dangerous dragon who could've killed everyone in Pyrrhia in about three days?"
"I... think you mean Darkstalker?" Fennec flinched at that name, but straightened her posture.
I swear to the moons, if he comes back, I'm not waking up from my slumber.
That thought concerned Quietkeep. He couldn't tell her that, though; she'd figure out his secret in his second day of being in this academy.
"Uh, yes, Dark-kstalker," she stammered. That was something to work with, so Quietkeep blinked at her in confusion. Could they just get to the point and stamp his booklet instead of have this meaningless conversation?
Quietkeep pointed to his booklet, trying to press Fennec into stamping it already, but she was already back to searching in her shelves.
"No no no, it's got to be here, why would anybody take it?! I wouldn't have let them check it in! Unless they stole them... no no no, these are dragonets, they haven't met Littleseer...he knows what's going to happen. He described a—" her head snapped back up, her snout scrunched up. The SandWing whirled around, staring right into Quietkeep's eyes, pinning him in place with that empty glare, and then right beside his eyes...
Her tail curled up, and she whipped back around, clutching her head.
Littleseer was right! He IS here! Ah... oh, finally.

That was concerning.

Fennec scrambled around the shelves, flipping scrolls away from their little dips, and growling softly.
"Ok, maybe it's not here..." Quietkeep began to wonder whether he should come back after she calmed down.. or maybe he could ask that SandWing from the band to stamp the scrolls for him. He seemed friendly.
"Quietkeep," she called just as he turned, and he screwed his eyes shut, flaring his nostrils. The dragonet turned back around to see Fennec sitting where she should be, with an expression like she should have. She LOOKED calm, but...
Acting, acting, acting, Bramble always said you were good at acting.
"Misses, can you please stamp my card? History class is next up, and I wouldn't want to be late..."
Fennec nodded a little too vigorously, her smile a little to wide. She wanted him gone from her library, didn't she?
The dragonet placed it on her desk, putting the scrolls from before right beside it, and Fennec searched for the stamp with 'Quietkeep' written on it, and a stamp with 'Librarian Fennec' written on it.
Her eyes glittered when she noticed the green stamp for her name and the blue stamp for Quietkeep; in what seemed like only two seconds, she'd stamped all the scrolls on the top left corner that he'd checked-in and stamped the first slot in his booklet with the 'Fennec' stamp.
Quietkeep took them back, fitting the card back in his pouch and the scrolls in his side bag. And when he blinked, Fennec was gone.