Chapter 11

The sky was clouded with dust and rubble. The sun was hiding behind clouds, sending milky shafts of sunlight through the grey as if reaching out to save Quietkeep. Something stiff clogged his throat, he found it hard to breathe, his eyes stung when he tried to peer at his surroundings. And finally, the sun decided to put a little more effort, wrapped its cold claws around his shoulders and hauled him from out of the massacre. Wait. Cold?

Quietkeep slumped on the boulder and coughed as air rushed into his lungs, raised his talons to protect his eyes from the blinding light. He'd appreciate the sun to go back to its hiding place now, thanks. But cold claws? The NightWing glanced to his left to see a sparkling white figure, and he yelped at how blinding it was too. Wait, no, that was Permafrost. 

''Permafrost!'' he tried to gasp, but it turned out more of like the most pitiful tragic story to ever come out as a sound. ''You're... you're... fine.'' The IceWing blinked, and only once his eyes adjusted to the brightness, he noticed the smudges of blood all across her scales, a nasty scratch on her snout and a dark bruise on her flank. 

''Of course. Let's look for the others,'' she grumbled, sank her teeth into his neck and heaved his hindquarters out from between the stones. Quietkeep felt a searing pain flash through his hind leg, and he almost hesitated to look back. It was even worse when he noticed Permafrost's shocked expression take over her face. What could be so horrible that even she falters?

Quietkeep glanced and almost screamed to see a sharp, long stick impaling his leg. It must've scraped his bone, but luckily it was in between the tibia bones in his hind leg. Something spread over his mind, and he gasped, feeling like fainting. He began to hyperventilate, his forearms buckling under him. Permafrost wrinkled her snout, nosed her snout under his stomach and tossed him onto her back. She grunted a little as she looked around, probably already tired from his weight on her back. Yes, she was stronger and larger and heavier, but Quietkeep wasn't tiny, only a little smaller than her, really. 

The dark dragonet arched his neck to the left and glanced up, seeing Permafrost's neck, her bottom jaw and a little of her face. The IceWing's brows arched when she spotted the other dragons and Quietkeep turned his head back down, letting it flop on her shoulder, his other half hanging on her other side and his tail dragging on the stone.

''You found the NightWing dragonet?'' A voice, a little gruff and strained, but still recognizable as Pondweed's.  Permafrost jerked her head, beckoning the others over, and they did a tut-tut or a tsk tsk at the sight of his wound. ''Is everyone found?'' Pondweed nodded, glancing around.

''I hope Heron brought the second patrol back to the academy safely. Cardinal went after those two that escaped, the Gold Winglet and the Quartz Winglet. Now it's just us: Shiver, River, Jackal, Garnet, Quietkeep, Permafrost and Mango.'' A shimmer of pale green and blue rippled across the RainWing's scales, then it faded back to her normal azure with tan and emerald highlights. ''Alright, Garnet, Jackal, you two go check the tents for any abandoned tools and spread them between all of us equally.''

The SandWing and the SkyWing took off and came back a few minutes later with about five bags and two hammocks. Quietkeep could take a bag... he already had his hammock, and Permafrost was carrying him and her stuff. Them two would be safe from the terror of carrying someone else's things: everyone hates doing that, right?

It wasn't long before the dragons took into the air, just as the sun revealed itself from its hiding, blasting the dragons with immense heat, adding to the thick air after the avalanche. Most dragons groaned even Pondweed who then scowled at everyone. 

''If we keep up with this pace, we should see Jade Mountain by sundown. Hopefully, we'll be back at the academy by night,'' Shiver murmured to Pondweed, adjusting her silver glasses. She was literally begging to be called a nerd. 

Wonder when I'll recover.. if we ever get back to school, that is.