Chapter 9

Note about story at the end of the chapter.

They had a three-way round robin between Seidou, Shuuhoku, and Inashiro, but the coach ordered Akio to sit out for the entire day as her fatigue had yet to lift.

So Akio sat in the dugout and observed the game. The coach had Kawakami pitch for the Inashiro game and currently, Tanba was pitching for the Shuuhoku game. Sawamura and Furuya were off somewhere else doing special training. She heard a shout and realized that the two teams were switching sides. Tanba and Miyuki can back to the dugout discussing the balls he should throw.

"Miyuki, I want to throw the forkballs for the last innings of the game."

Miyuki shook his head firmly. "No, not with Inashiro's team watching. I want to save your forkball till we actually start the Summer Tournament."

Tanba growled, reusing to back down.

"Tanba," the coach said, "are you doing this for the team, or merely for yourself? If you can't pitch for the team, then I can't give you're the ace number."

However, Tanba refused to budge.

"I'm doing this for myself in order to overcome my own weakness."

The coach turned away, but Akio saw the small smirk that briefly appeared.

"Heh, where'd you learn to talk big?" asked Jun. "You know, if you give up a run, you'll have to take responsibility. You'll shave your head all the way!"

Ryosuke smirked. "That's a good idea. Count me in."

"Me too," said Yuki.

"Eh?! Captain?!"

Kuramochi laughed. "Or you could grow your hair long!"

Akio suppressed her laughter.

"You give up a run, you shave your head. You give up two runs, you shave your eyebrows too. I'll write it down."

"EEHH?!"

Everyone in the dugout was laughing.

"Three runs and you grow your hair long."

More laughter burst out in the dugout.

"Next batter hurry up please!"

Tanba, wanting to escape his embarrassment, quickly grabbed his helmet and bat and headed out.

Akio's face held a small grin as she watched Tanba readied himself.

Suddenly, her grin fell. Akio saw the pitcher's hand covered in sweat. She scrambled to the edge of the dugout.

Everyone in the dugout was shocked by her sudden action. Akio didn't care.

"TANBA-SAN! WATCH OUT—"

It was too late. The Coach, Miyuki, Captain, and everyone who had just been in high spirits watched as a deadball hit Tanba square in the chin. Akio thought she heard a cracking sound as her eyes followed Tanba's cracked helmet to the ground.

"Tanba-san!"

"Tanba!"

Akio stood still as she felt the wind rush by her as her teammates all ran to Tanba, who had collapsed. Akio saw the coach guiltily walk up to Coach Kataoka and bow repeatedly. She narrowed her eyes and her facial expression became dark. Several of the people who had remained moved away from her. When the pitcher's eyes met hers, Akio's eyes narrowed even further. The pitch flinched and scurried to join his team. Akio gave a scoff and stalked out of the dugout.