Lack of Signal

Sapphire pulled her phone from the pocket of her denim jacket. Her fingers rapidly moved across the screen of her Phone, grimacing as the small icon flashed up in the corner notifying her of its decrease in battery life. Pressing send, a chorus of curses left her lips as the screen went black. Her teeth ground together in anger as she realised her only other option was to find a computer and internet connection if she wanted to get this email sent on time to apologise for missing a revision class.

There was a small electronics shop she knew of, not too far away, that left it's demo laptops unsecured. Sapphire ran her fingers through her hair as she dragged her feet towards the shop.  As she entered the shop she grinned as she saw the laptop was free; she knew from experience that it was left unsecured. She would have used their equally unsecured Wi-Fi, but her phone had decided to die.

Making her way over to the laptop, she noticed a plain, black USB key plugged into it. She knew others used the shop's laptops, and it seemed it was currently in use. She looked about the shop and realised that the few customers in there were busy looking at other things and the staff were also busy talking to customers or playing on their phones. She made the decision to quickly send her email and simply excuse herself if the owner of the key returned to use it.

On the screen before her was an open web page, with several files sitting in the drop box. Temporarily ignoring them, she signed into her email account and sent the already typed message, silently thanking whoever developed the automatic ‘Saved in drafts’ which her phone must have done before it died. After sending the email,  no one had returned to retrieve the key and she looked back at the files sitting invitingly in the folder window.

Impulsively she decided to upload the files to her own online file share account, mainly it was just her inquisitive nature, but it would also give her something to occupy herself with later. After uploading the files, she saw the account details button on the original page, and decided to have some fun and change the account password. Grinning to herself at her new choice of password, she saved the website URL to her online notes. Then Sapphire ensured she signed out the site and all of the sites she had logged into unlike whoever left the page open before her.

Sapphire picked made her way towards the exit. On her way out, she narrowly avoided bumping into a man entering the store. He was dressed in a white T-shirt and a baseball cap. He had short dark hair, and a Bluetooth earpiece was flashing in his ear.

Sapphire watched out of the corner of her eye, as the guy strode over to the laptop, briefly studying whatever was on the screen before frowning and pulling out the USB stick. The man’s actions caused Sapphire to slightly freak out and wonder what could be on the memory stick. ‘Whatever it is’ she thought to herself, ‘I’ll have to check it out when I get home'. Sapphire pondered what she had uploaded the whole way home, before sitting down on her bed; opening her laptop; and turning it on.