Day 2

Stars

"Good night Amms." Nandini said softly as she covered her grandmother with the blanket. She looked at her grandmother for a while before turning off the lamp and walking out of the room.

Nandini had just closed the door of her grandmother's room when she heard the shrill sound of the doorbell.

Manik hadn't shown up the whole day. And Nandini had guessed that he had been busy. But as soon as the doorbell rang somewhere deep inside a part of her did wish that it would be Manik.

She ran downstairs and opened the door slightly. And her hope didn't go in vain. It sure was Manik. "I hope I didn't disturb you." Manik said with an apologetic smile.

"No not exactly." Nandini said as she opened the door for him to enter inside.

"Umm actually." He hesitated for a moment or few. "Can we go for a walk right now?"

"Right now?" Nandini wasn't sure if she heard it correct. It was already ten and it wasn't like she was fond of winter nights.

"Yea right now." Manik paused."Actually I want to show you something."

"But-"

"Please Nandini." Manik tilted his head slightly and looked at her with hope.

"Uhh Umm Okay." Nandini agreed, making him flash his teeth.

"Okay then grab your jacket and then we can leave." He said, over enthusiastically.

After wearing her jacket and making sure that she locked the door properly, they left her home.

The night was cold and chilly wind blew past them but the shining stars above made the night beautiful. Nandini shivered a bit when a cold breeze passed by touching her face. She put on the hood of her jacket but it didn't seem to help much.

That was when Manik stopped her. She looked at him and raised her head slightly asking "What?"

He simply took out the thick muffler that he had wrapped around his neck. He took a step ahead and slowly wrapped it around her neck.

She looked at him and he smiled. "I don't want to get blamed if you catch cold."

She didn't know how she should be reacting. So she simply averted her gaze from him to the night sky.

He smiled melancholy, looking at her. There was once a time when she used to be so cheerful, so bubbly. She didn't talk much anymore. It was as if she was afraid to utter a word.

He could see her smile sadly, looking at the stars. They continued walking.

Manik tried carrying out conversations but like the other day she didn't open up much.

They walked till the park which was a few blocks away from her home. "Let's sit here for a while." Nandini said as she sat on the wet grass. Manik too accompanied her.

Nandini laid down on the grass, looking at the starry night. He could see her smile melancholy. Her eyes looked dazed and distant and it looked as if she was lost in her own world.

"Dad." She whispered under her breath but he heard it.

"Nandini you okay?" Manik gave her a light push, breaking her trance.

She nodded her head but he knew she wasn't. He laid down beside her, their shoulders almost touching and it made her heart shiver. "You know I love this stars. I feel like I can stare them for hours." Manik said, looking at the stars.

"Why do you love them?" Nandini questioned.

"There's no particular reason but it's just that even few minutes under the starry night makes me feel good. It refreshes my mind like nothing else." Manik reasoned, turning a bit sideways to look at her. "Don't you love the stars?"

"I do. In fact it reminds me of my dad." Nandini heaved a slow breath, looking at the stars.

"Tell me about your dad." Manik said softly.

Nandini turned her head sideways and he had already been looking at her. Their eyes locked for a while but Nandini averted her gaze to the stars while his were fixed on hers.

"My dad was an astronomer." She smiled wistfully, remembering her dad. "For us the stars are just shining objects but for him stars were more than that. He used to study their position, constellations and used to stare them for hours. At times even I used to accompany him and those stargazing moments with him were probably my best moments."

Unknowingly Nandini opened up a little to him and he smiled. Manik held her shoulder lightly, gaining her attention.

"Reason number two, Nandini." Manik paused, squeezing her shoulders a bit. "Stars."

Nandini turned sideways, looking at him. They both were facing each other by now. He raised his hands and gently brushed a few strands of her hair behind her ears, surprising her.

"Don't die Nandini." Manik gently traced his finger on her cheek, making her heart shiver. "Live for this stars, this shining stars. You never know you may be a shining star for someone."

"I and shining star? That's impossible."

"You never know." Manik said, caressing her cheek gently with his finger, making her close her eyes. "Just don't give up on life."