Chapter 11

God, we sound so horrible right now.

I witnessed all of the pained expression of the people at the Sigma Beta Theta fall mixer. Unfortunately, the routine we have been practicing for days wasn't still polished, and it resulted to us sounding so awful that probably makes their beer tastes bad. Yeah, even I know it too.

I've never been so humiliated in my whole life. A guy named Howie walked forward and stopped us at the middle of our performance. He even called us a "barnyard explosion" which is so not cool. Typical frat boys...assholes.

We all walked out of the frat party, with sad faces and dumped dignities while Aubrey was giving us a lecture about "we need to remember how we're feeling so we shouldn't feel this way ever again". I wasn't really paying any attention, because I don't give a shit. What took my attention was when she called Chloe.

"Chloe, your voice didn't sound Aguilerian at all." Aubrey snapped which got me thinking. She really wasn't in her best voice, I wonder what happened?

"Chloe, for serious, what is wrong with you?!" Aubrey asked upsettingly, which made me glared at her.

Then Chloe turned around and looked at us with her eyes filled with unshed tears.

"I have nodes." She said that was replied with widened eyes and gasps. I, on the other hand, have no idea what made them do that. Aubrey held both of her hands and Chloe mumbled to her, "I found out this morning."

"What are nodes?" I asked dumbly with a worried tone.

"Vocal Nodules." Aubrey answered me as if it was the most obvious thing. "The rubbing together of your vocal chords at above-average rates without proper lubrication." She continued.

"They sit on your windpipes and crush your dreams." Chloe added with a sob.

Now this is news. I didn't know she was having trouble recently in singing. "Isn't that painful? Why would you keep performing?" I asked her worriedly.

"Because I love to sing." Chloe reasoned.

"Yeah it's like what my lady doctor told me to not have sex in six weeks, and I did it anyway." Stacie reasoned out. I looked at her in a startled expression. I have no idea if that information is a part of her act or was really true at all.

"You should really listen to your doctor." Fat Amy said, but Stacie just shrugged, and I just pursed my lips. I am being surrounded with weirdos.

"The key is early diagnosis." Chloe began, squeezing Aubrey's hand in her own while looking at us with a determined look. "I am living with nodes. But I am a survivor. I just have to pull back...because I am limited..." Aubrey nodded, while getting all emotional. "...because I have nodes." Chloe ended with a strong façade.

"Well at least it's not herpes." Fat Amy blurted out and we all looked at her. What in the world?

"Or do you have that as well?" the Aussie added, and it took all of me to keep a straight face.

After a few sorry glances towards Chloe, the rest of the Bellas continued to walk towards their own dorms and I stayed behind. I walked towards Chloe who was still wiping her tears from her cheeks.

"Hey..." I said with a soft touch on her shoulder. She sniffed and smiled sadly at me. "I'm sorry about your nodes...I didn't expect you having one especially when you sound so good." I lightly smiled to make her feel a bit happy. And it looked like I did make her happy. She smiled at me dearly and linked her arm with mine.

"Thanks Becs."

"Just take it easy, alright?" I said. "When's your next appointment with the doctor? I mean, I can come with you if you'd like." I offered, hopeful that she would agree.