Chapter Three

Ainia

It was the day of my thirtieth birthday in the middle of summer. I was very excited about my birthday that year, because it was my first since my seventeenth birthday. Will was serving me a special dinner at home in front of the fire. I would have liked to do something with Helena and Daniel as to not leave them out, but Helena insisted that I spend this night with Will. They must have been in on some sort of secret. 

I woke up and robotically looked at the ring on my finger, something that I had started doing since we arrived at Macrome. Will had a full day planned out for me; breakfast at home, then a shopping spree, some walking through the summer kissed woods, lunch, a movie, and then dinner. I took a shower, dried and flat ironed my long brown hair, added some eyeliner and mascara, and got dressed in a light, flowing flowered blouse and white high-waisted shorts. I looked at myself in the mirror, remembering a conversation Helena and I had a few months ago.

“How did you get so skinny after your pregnancy?” she asked.

“For a while I had some training, and that gave me exercise, and a few other things with Will.” Helena smirked, knowing what I was talking about.

“Well, I couldn’t get the weight off no matter how hard I tried.”

“You look fine, Helena!” I exclaimed.

Later that evening, Will and I were laying in bed, Will’s head was on my stomach and he was circling my belly button with his finger, tickling my skin.

“Helena asked how I lost so much weight today,” I said. I knew why she asked. It was like I never even had a child the way I was so skinny.

“Did you tell her about all your preparing for the fight against Velnia?” he asked.

“Not really, I just mentioned training... and some other things.”

“And that would be?” he said playfully.

“Something with you,” I smiled. He laughed and kissed me.

“Oh, so now Helena has to know everything I do?” he teased, “Is she going to know about this?”

I snapped out of my daydream and ran down the stairs to find Will waiting for me. He had made warm waffles drenched in syrup and bacon on the side. I smiled and kissed Will. And before I could thank him, he cut a piece of waffle and put it in my mouth.

“Mmm,” I said, tasting the fluffy waffle and the sugary syrup.

“I’m glad you like it,” he said. I nodded, sitting down at the table and finishing the rest of my breakfast. “Okay, lets start off our big day Birthday Girl! Time to shop.” Will grabbed his wallet off of the table and we walked to the square. He took me to multiple stores, where I bought four dresses, three new pairs of jeans, eight tops, and six new pairs of heels, shoes, and summer boots. Will was trying to replace the closet that I lost, but I insisted that he save some money. Mother left me a bit of her fortune in a safe place, but I wanted to save that, too. After shopping, we walked through the woods, chasing each other, laughing and kissing. Will picked me up and I wrapped my legs around his waist, resting my head against his shoulder. I could feel him and could tell he was excited, as usual. I couldn’t have been happier.

Dinner finally came and I savored the juicy chicken and asparagus that Will made. The fire was going and the room felt warm and cozy. We quickly ate our dinner and then Will served birthday cake with mint ice cream. He began to clean up, and I didn’t know what to do, so I sat on the sofa. The lights were low and I could tell 

Will set the mood very romantically. I noticed a blanket on the couch but didn’t think much of it. I decided to go help Will clean up, so I turned to go in the kitchen, but he was gone. I turned back to where I was sitting, and Will was behind me, startling me. Before I could say anything, he kissed me passionately with his tongue in my mouth just the way I liked.