Chapter Six

Ainia

This man was my Father. He sat before me in the same clothes that he left my kingdom in, only they were torn and discolored now. He didn’t recognize me at first; I had changed in fourteen years. But in my face he saw himself, and a bit of my Mother, but mostly him. My Mother had light hair, almost white, and pale skin. I had a mid tone between my mothers snow white complexion and my Father’s tan one. He also had the same brown hair and brown eyes as me, which made us look more alike. He stood, and Velnia and the soldier moved to the side.

“I never thought I’d see you again,” he whispered.

“Father,” I said, crying, “Father, I thought you were gone, we thought you were dead.” I hugged him, and he patted my back soothingly, the way he used to.

“I’m not that easy to get rid of,” he replied, “I think of you every day. I wished to see my Princess every moment.”

“Oh, Father,” I sobbed, “I am no longer a Princess; We have lost the kingdom.”

Father pulled away from the hug, his face solid and concerned. “How?”

I gestured to Velnia. “She tried to kill me. She destroyed the village, the castle, everything.”

Father turned to Velnia, fire in his eyes. “You killed my people, you attempted to murder my daughter, you bring shame to my wife’s name.” Velnia kept her head up with confidence, silent. I ordered the soldier to put her in a cell. He put her in the cell, locking the door.

“Send for Chaff,” I commanded. The soldier left, and soon returned with the Irishman. I had him put in the cell with my cousin. They were on their knees, proudly awaiting their final moments. They shared one last long kiss, and I began to speak.

“Velnia, you must know that I don’t want to do this, but I have to.”

“I understand, it is by blood. Do what you must, and take care of Olivia, I doubt you will have a problem with that. She is a sweet girl, just like you.”

With a tear in my eye, I took my dagger from its sheath, and put it up to Velnia’s throat, sliding it across, killing her instantly. Chaff cried out, mourning for his wife.

“Please, I did nothing. I was only her husband, I had no intentions of killing you,” Chaff begged.

“You tried to rape me, Chaff. Next to my husband.”

I did the same to Chaff as I did to Velnia, feeling guilt wash over me, yet, my greatest fears were lifted, gone. I helped my Father, who had not walked in years, walk up the stairs and to the kitchen, where Will, Olivia, and two boys were collecting at the door.

“Olivia, get a chair,” Will said.

“Yes, Father,” she replied. Will ran to help Father and I until we had him seated. Olivia got him a glass of water and handed it to him. I asked the blonde haired boy to get some food from the pantry for him and set it on a plate.

“Is it done?” Will whispered.

“Yes,” I replied, “we're free.”

*   *   *

Olivia

I finally got to meet my Mother and my Father at the same time. They looked similar to the way they looked in the dream, yet a little older. Not by much, though, because they were still very young. They were perfect; a girl and a boy madly in love, starting a family together. She had long brown hair that fell amazingly straight, similar to my hair, and brown eyes that were warm and loving; he had blonde hair that was swept up perfectly with hair gel in the front, and his blue eyes were deep, like mine. They seemed nice and loving.

Alex and Cole introduced themselves to Mother and the older man, who was introduced to me as my Grandfather.

“Who is this young lady?” Grandfather asked, “Is she the daughter of Velnia?”

“No, Father,” Mother said, “she is my daughter, Olivia.”

“Daughter?” he replied, shocked, “Are you married?” He was obviously confused.

“Yes, Father. I’m married to Will. I got married three weeks ago.” She wasn't married when she had me? I thought.

“Will, oh yes, William Baylor!” he exclaimed, “I didn’t recognize you, my, you were only a child playing hide-and-seek at the castle with Ainia, Dana, and Mitchell! Where are they, the young kids?”

Mother frowned. “They died, Father. They died next to us, when the kingdom was destroyed.” The mood became solemn, but the joy quickly resumed with Grandfather speaking.

“William, I always knew you were a good companion for my daughter, you have given her happiness.”

“I love her, Your Majesty,” Father replied.

“Please, you are my kin; I am Father to you,” Grandfather said. He turned to me. “Come here, my child.” I walked into his arms, where he gave me an embrace. “A lovely family, I have. Where is your Mother, Ainia?”

Mother began to sob, and Father came from behind and wrapped his arms around her. “She was killed,” Father whispered. “It was Velnia.”

Grandfather broke down. He held his face in his hands, and he cried. He mourned for his wife, a Grandmother I never knew, murdered by a woman I called my Mother.

Velnia.

It soon became late, and no one wanted to leave until everything was settled, so Mother and Father stayed in the guest room. Neither Alex nor Cole would go, so we sent one of the soldiers to their houses to let their parents know. The remaining three soldiers helped Grandfather to another guest room before setting up camp in the study.

Alex, Cole and I stayed in one of my six rooms, the one with two beds, mostly for sleepovers. I left the two boys in the room to change into my silky pajamas. When I came back, the boys were sitting on the ground, talking. When they saw me, they quieted. Cole looked down.

“I’ll sleep on the floor,” Cole offered.

“That’s crazy Cole,” Alex replied, “I’ll sleep on the floor.”

“No,” I interjected, “neither of you are sleeping on the floor. Alex, you can sleep with me. Cole, you can take the other bed.” Cole sighed and took his coat off, climbing into bed. Alex did the same. I turned off the lantern and climbed into bed with Alex. My eyes adjusted and I could make out the outline of Alex’s narrow face. I saw his mouth turn into a smile. Just before his soft lips met mine.

We shared a quiet giggle, before I began to unbutton his shirt. He wrapped his arms around me, and I snuggled into his chest.

I was growing up. I was moving to a new stage in my relationship with Alex, one more serious and mature.

And, I had my new, happy family.

My real family.